Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort with Ape Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain

Received 63 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Comfort with Ape Hangers

I have searched through the forums quite a bit, and I realize different people have different opinions on what are the most comfortable handlebar setups. I was wondering if anyone has converted their Dyna from a T-bar type setup to ape hangers and found that to be a much more comfortable riding position? I have recently started having pretty significant pain and stiffness in my lower back associated with arthritis. I am not about to give up riding just for a little suffering, but I would consider making some changes to improve my situation. I currently am running a set of 8" rise T-bars which cause me to slump forward just a little. Any thoughts anyone has on the comfort of riding with ape hangers would be appreciated. I also like to take some pretty long road trips, so I would appreciate some insight from anyone that has done some cross country and multi-day road trips with ape hangers. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
annapolisfatbob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your back hurts then why dont you just get some pull back bars. if its looks you are going for some apes will come back to you and others will still keep you leaning, you will have to read the measurements to see if they would be a good fit. jmo

Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So many variables to consider for a perfect fit...been there and done that and I still don't have a perfect fit.
I suggest getting a set that places your hands somewhere between your shoulders and heart. For us older guys, the heart level is key because if your hands stay above your heart area, they tend to go to sleep. The width will play a part too. Mine are 36" wide and I think, about 4" too wide. My overall height from nacelle is about 17" and I think over over should be about 15" but that's for me. I'm using wild1's 12" chubby apes on stock 2.5" fld risers.

With the t-bar and riser set up, I bet you get pain in the neck and top of shoulder area first, right?
That will go away with apes but then you might take a month or so getting used to your shoulder joints aching for a while....cause and effect, lol. The angle of your wrists is also key.

I think that the heritage apes are just about right to address all the above but again, it's all qualified by your own body and where everything lines up.
Hope that helps.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by annapolisfatbob
if your back hurts then why dont you just get some pull back bars. if its looks you are going for some apes will come back to you and others will still keep you leaning, you will have to read the measurements to see if they would be a good fit. jmo
Which apes are you running annapolisfatbob? They look like the carlini evil apes. Whatever they are they look awesome. Nice ride.

ABNRanger, I'm curious too. Good question. I'm still going back and forth on if I want to go ape hangers or not.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ABN, I just thought of this old set up that was one of the most comfortable I ever used. It's from back in the 70's on a sportster and it was 6" risers with 6" z-bars.

Perfect height, width, wrist angle and pull back. you could keep your existing risers and run these for about $100. Lots of fore and aft adjustments avail. to you with them. Just another suggestion

Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM
paulies 07
Road Captain

I also have a bad back, running 16 inch chubbys, with a wind vest for freeway riding, very comfortable

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
wyldspirit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Bob said I am running 14" apes with 2" risers

This setup gives me the best in comfort and puts my hands level with my shoulders

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
leepetersusn
Tourer

I'm running 14" apes with stock risers and I don't get any back or wrist pain. Places the bars just below my shoulders.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
annapolisfatbob
Tourer

Originally Posted by CB024
Which apes are you running annapolisfatbob? They look like the carlini evil apes. Whatever they are they look awesome. Nice ride.

ABNRanger, I'm curious too. Good question. I'm still going back and forth on if I want to go ape hangers or not.
i couldnt tell you what the hell they are....dude had them in his shop, i liked them, he put them on! they are definitely not carlini's

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We love our ape's
I have had surgery, the S1 group, I have no back pain or wrist problems with them. I have some slight discomfort with my CVO SG with stock bars. Nothing major mind you.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 11-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Comfort with Ape Hangers