Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FXDB Baffle Removal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
BigLewski
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 FXDB Baffle Removal HELP

Im trying to make a weekend project out of removing the baffle from my new street bob. However, im having trouble finding any good info on how involved this is and how to do so. Any help would be great, thanks

Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an extended 3/8" drill bit to start a pilot hole in the rear baffle. They are fitted in like a welsh plug. I then use a length of 1/2" concrete reo with a sharp point ground on the end and gently tap a bigger hole thru the pilot. Do small increments as its a no return exercise. I find the 1/2 hole in the rear baffles only, in conjunction with Vieds and a S&S air cleaner works great. It leaves plenty of back pressure for low down torque, lets it breath out at hi way speeds and doesn't **** the neighbors off.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
BigLewski
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply beagle. Im pretty new at this so what exactly is a reo? If Im correct basically youre saying just drill a pilot hole then follow up with a 1/2" bit, right?

Also, is there any concern for whatever metal shavings that may remain in the baffle from the drilling?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The shavings will just blow out with the exhaust pressure.Not to worry about those.

Joe

Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM
fatrobbert
Advanced

I didn't like the taper on the end, and I'm putting an exhaust on this winter so I didn't care. Here's what I did. I used a metal chop saw and cut off the mufflers right where they start to taper, gives a nice big can look. The baffles fell right out. Put some BCT baffles in the head pipe and it sounds good for now.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 FXDB Baffle Removal HELP-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
BigLewski
Stage IV

Originally Posted by fatrobbert
I didn't like the taper on the end, and I'm putting an exhaust on this winter so I didn't care. Here's what I did. I used a metal chop saw and cut off the mufflers right where they start to taper, gives a nice big can look. The baffles fell right out. Put some BCT baffles in the head pipe and it sounds good for now.

I agree I also do not care for the tapered look, do you have any pictures of how yours turned out?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM
BIGDsHD
5th Gear

I have a 2013 street bob as well. I pulled the mufflers off to do the same thing. I could not find much on the web either. It looked harder than when I beat them out of a nightster, so i ordered some Vance and Hines, and put them on. But the idea of drilling them out a little at a time sounds pretty good, I would give that a shot.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM
BigLewski
Stage IV

Does anyone know if it's only the one weld holding the baffle in? And if the cat is actually connected to the baffle or if they are seperate

Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLewski
Does anyone know if it's only the one weld holding the baffle in? And if the cat is actually connected to the baffle or if they are seperate

CAT is connected to the baffle, grind off the 3 rivets holding the baffle in the muffler. then you will probably need to take the muffler of the bike(leave the headpipes). then take a concrete stake or some type of wood/steel dowel. and put it in the end of the muffler, beat it on the concrete and the baffle will come out.

once baffle is pulled out use the sawzall/grinder/etc... to cut of the CAT from the end of the baffle, then remove the wrap on the baffle. put baffles back in the canisters and see how it sounds.