Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Wiring new tail light on Dyna Fat Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
BBobber1858
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Wiring new tail light on Dyna Fat Glide

I need help. I have everything I need to complete this Fat Bob to Wide Glide fender swap. I got the run, brake, turn module plugged in. I am mounting a new tail light on a vertical side mounted license plate bracket. So, I need to separate the tail light wiring from the tail light signal wiring. How do I know which wires go where? Do I need to get new socket housings, or can I just splice wires together? My new signal lights have 3 wires, the OEM lights had 2 wires. How do I connect?

Attached Thumbnails Help!! Wiring new tail light on Dyna Fat Glide-photo-2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Kinda confusing what you're asking, but I'll try to help.

The STT module has 3 plugs, yes? Two of them have 3 wires, one has 2 wires. The one with two wires supplies a 12V and a ground, since the Wide Glide's license plate is LED lit and does not function as a brake light, it is always on. The two plugs with 3 wires each are for your turn signals. They will have a black (ground), a striped wire, and I believe they will each have one of the same color wire. That wire, the one that's shared between the two, is for your brake light. The striped wire is for the signal (left or right). If it were me, I would make AMP connectors to plug directly into the STT module. 2 wire plug for the license plate, and 3 wire plugs for the left/right signals. Then I would run an additional wire for the brake to the license plate and tap into the common brake wire from either of the turn signals on the STT module side (not the main wiring harness, you don't want to mess with it). For tapping wires I like to use Posi-Tap connectors. Do a google search. Clean, vibration proof, no soldering required.

At least the above is how I did this years ago when I ran that fender, assuming I'm remembering correctly.

Matt

Last edited by mattVA; 08-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

On my Fat Glide morph I did similar to what Matt is referring to using factory connectors I bought on line. I sourced them and factory color wiring so that it looks original when I did my Street Glide fender graft and lighting. I also added additional LED signals, Fascia LED Tri-light with signals, Kuryacan license plate frame with LED light and the stock Street Glide bullet lights.
The harness is secured up high on the inside on the left side above the strut.
Bob

Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to wire it up like the Street Bob with the donky light is set up, only with the center light being relocated to the side, kinda like you see in my avatar pic.

On the modulator harness you should have 8 or 9 wires that are to be used for your lighting.

3 Black Grounds (one to each light housing)
2 Blue Run (one to both the Left and Right turn sigs)
1 Brown Right Signal (could be brown w/ white strip) (module converts signal to this wire for turn or brake signal)
1 Purple Left Signal (could be purple w/ white strip) (module converts signal to this wire for turn or brake signal)
1 Orange Accessory / Run Signal (runs brake light as a running light and is used to light up the plate)
1 Red Brake Signal (could be Red w/ Yellow strip) (brake signal used on the center light or side mount like you are installing) If this wire is not part of the wires coming out of the module, it should be part of the wires going into the module from the bike and you can tap into that wire to use with another wire for your brake signal at the light. Here are some schematics to look at. In the second drawing, I drew it up and it has my LED setup in it, but you should be able to get the just of the color lay out for how you should wire your bike up.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM
BBobber1858
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much! This looks like exactly what I need? I am taking photos step by step. I will post when I finish.

Bob