Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Gary_L
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Touring on a Wide Glide?

ORIGINAL: signal

setting mine up for a trip as well. which windshields are you guys using on the wg?
where does the wind hit you? how tall are you?
I"m running the Quick Release Detachable Compact Windshield. I'm 6'1".

The windshield could stand to be a little taller, but it does a pretty good job of keeping the wind and bugs off my face and chest. My problem is the air coming from beside the tank and up alongside my head. It beats me pretty good at highway speeds.

I'm thinking seriously about getting a Memphis Fats 21" shield and fork deflectors as well. I read on another board here that Memphis Shades is coming out with new mounting hardware in May that sounds a lot like the Harley hardware, so I'm waiting to check that out before I buy.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a 2002 wide glide with windshield, saddle bags (leather), and T-bag, I put on a set of mid pegs but left the forward controls so I could change my foot positon on the long runs. I use my Aerovest to keep the buffeting at bay and went on the Kyle Petty Charity ride in 05. Did 4800 mile in ten days, no problems. I have 72k on it now and don't mind 400+ mile days consecutively so to answer your question, tour to your hearts content. I did put on a Mustang vintage wide seat for the extra comfort but that is a personal thing, go for it, it will do just fine---jack

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
timdow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6'2", have the compact windshield also, and have the same experience as Gary_L: Wind hits me in the helmet, or in the face when riding with an open helmet. The windshield takes the pressure off my chest though. Is there a replacement out there for just the plexiglass part of the windshield that is taller?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 AM
skullyface
Advanced

ok. so i know you didn't ask about touring on a bob but for what it's worth...

i got bad knees from old mc wrecks and...well...old knees. with that, the most important thing to keep me rollin is foot/leg position. std position controls, highway pegs and passenger pegs give me enough options to do about 500 miles a day without too much limping. i do 400 mile days pretty regularly with no trouble at all.

i've done over 700 miles in one day (day one of a two-day, 1200 miler) but that was on a softie. i did just over 1000 miles this past weekend on the bob...no limping.

here's the bob about to be unpacked for the night at a KOA:

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Jet x 4
Tourer

The addition of a sundowner seat made a huge difference for me and the OL. Can ride comfortably all day on it vs one hour on the stock seat. All the advice above is great. You can mount a set of mid pegs to help shift your weight around a bit.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Surfit
Road Captain

Gary_l What kind of bagg's are those? Are they detachable? Where did you get them and how much? Oh yeah, how do you like them?

Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

it's a dyna get on the road and be safe . enjoy

Old 03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
sethman2010
Advanced

Hey Timdow, you asked about replacement plexi-glass, I was browsing Memphis Shades website yesterday and noticed they offer replacement windshields for HD windshields. Looks like it's just the plexi-glass and no hardware. They offer a bunch of sizes, I think up to 19" for the wide glide.

Check it out: http://www.memphisshades.com/HDLDrep...plastic1.shtml

Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Gary_L
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Surfit

Gary_l What kind of bagg's are those? Are they detachable? Where did you get them and how much? Oh yeah, how do you like them?
Surfit, they are the Harley 90369-06 bags. They are okay, but I wish they were bigger. Mine are still hard mounted since I haven't gotten around to ordering the Easy Brackets yet.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 AM
timdow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sethman2010 for the info about Memphis Shades. Looking at thier website now....

Quick Reply: Touring on a Wide Glide?