Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Primary?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Kustrud
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Primary?? HELP!

So I found the second drop of oil on the floor after a long ride on Monday. The fluid is grayish, almost gear-oil looking. I recently changed my trans to ShockProof (which is red so unless the old that was left over is hiding the red I do not think thats it, right???) Also, just changed motor oil which still looks clean, so this leaves primary. Does that make sense for it to be a grayish color? I know you need to know where its coming from but I need to put it on a lift or something to see under there. Looks like its under the left side or left-rear-middleish side haha of the motor. From what I am describing should I start with thinking it is the primary fluid?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

First thing to do is clean everything down there with some degreaser, like Simple Green Aircraft
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE
. It's safer on metals.

Then go for a ride, get it on the lift, and get in there with a good flashlight. If it is leaking, there are several places it can come from. It could be the shifter jackshaft, or the starter, or the inner primary, or the main drive gear (2 seals here. .). Any of these could drip down to the primary.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Kustrud
Tourer

Thats what I will have to do! How big a job to replace the seals you just mentioned? Im pretty handy as long as its nothing too unfamiliar.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,415 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Could be the inner primary bearing seal or bearing starting to go away...Maybe it is something more simple... Find the leak, it might just be your primary gasket getting old...

Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kustrud
Thats what I will have to do! How big a job to replace the seals you just mentioned? Im pretty handy as long as its nothing too unfamiliar.
It's not too bad, but doing it for the first time had its challenges for me. .depends on what the problem is. If it's the main drive gear large seal, it's behind the pulley. .that thing is not fun to remove. Plus gotta deal with getting the inner/outer primary's off. Special locking tool required or fab one up.

You can read through my (mis)adventures here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post11989208

Keeping in mind I have a 6 speed and slightly different primary than you.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,517 Likes on 4,625 Posts

First make sure it is not engine oil leaking down from a rocker box or base gasket.

You could drain your primary and refill with automatic transmission fluid, if the primary is leaking there will be no question (ATF will work fine in the primary).

The important thing is don`t jump in and remove the primary and replace seals and re assemble, only to find out the leak is actually coming from the transmission. Be sure the problem is only the primary.

Since you serviced the transmission with Pepto Bismol (EDIT: actually serviced with shockproof), you should know pretty quickly if the transmission is the culprit.

The simple green aircraft cleaner is great stuff.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i wouold bet the bank on shifter shaft seal, you can feel behind the inner primary and see oil there or feel it, as stated clean then ride and check.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Thanks for the help guys, I gotta trace this down as I cant stand the thought of my bike leaking!

If it is the shifter shaft seal, where is this and which fluid would this be leaking? Primary fluid or trans fluid?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,517 Likes on 4,625 Posts

Kustrud, I misread your first post, I thought you were running Redline Heavy Shockproof in the transmission, the stuff that looks like Pepto Bismol...when that stuff leaks it is easy to spot.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-28-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you dont have a lift and your bike is too low to lay on your back and look under get a mirror and a flashlight. Gray indicates oil- water contamination. Whens the last time you changed your fluids... Do you do a lot of short trips or ocassional startups during storage months? Start by checking around all your drain plugs and change your lubes if it has been awhlie since ladt service

Quick Reply: Leaking Primary?? HELP!