Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with deciding between Dyna models

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 AM
Jastreb
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with deciding between Dyna models

Hi guys I have a question for you. I’m deciding between Dyna models and I need your help. This has probably been discussed before on this forum but I just can’t find the a answers. Firstly the revues by newspaper on HD are really poor. The best I have find are by Motorcycle USA (or am I mistaken?). Would be nice if someone could post some link of revues.

I have been riding for all my life but my true passion had always been HD’s. I owned a Ducati Monster and an Aprillia RSV. Now hopefully I can afford to satisfy my passion next year. HD in Europe are ridiculously overpriced (as are all the bikes compared to US prices). For instance Street Bob starts at 13.300 USD in the states while in Europe they are sold for 22.700 USD (17.080 EUR in Austria where is my nearest shop)

To get to the point I’m deciding between Street Bob, Low Rider and Wide Glide. There is where I would like to ask you for your help and experience. Can you tell me the main difference regarding the bikes themselves and the main difference in the riding stiles? Cons and pros…
My heart is set on Street Bob but I would still like to here and there if absolutely needed take my girl along for the ride. I have seen some pictures of the bike with passenger seat mounted on. How difficult is to install one on the bike.

But to be completely honest my ideal bike would be Wild Glide rear with Street bob front handles. Do any of you have a Wild Glide with high raised handlebars?
This is my first post so I really am sorry if a similar question was raised on this forum before…
TY

Last edited by Jastreb; 07-29-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 AM
kchaile
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't chose a model just because the standard seat sits one or two. Switching seats is one of the easiest mods you can do. Putting a two up seat and passenger pegs on a Street Bob is pretty simple. The Street Bob comes standard with mid controls (though this too isn't hard to change). Best thing you can do is take a test ride on all the models. I thought I was going to buy a Low Rider or Wide Glide but ended up with a Street Bob after test riding all 3. My Street Bob has forward controls since I am fairly tall and the mid controls seemed a little cramped to me. They are all great bikes. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

^^^ agree 100%, you need to ride all 3 and don't be afraid to ask for a second demo
ride if you are torn between a couple of them

Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastreb
Hi guys I have a question for you. I’m deciding between Dyna models and I need your help. This has probably been discussed before on this forum but I just can’t find the a answers. Firstly the revues by newspaper on HD are really poor. The best I have find are by Motorcycle USA (or am I mistaken?). Would be nice if someone could post some link of revues.

I have been riding for all my life but my true passion had always been HD’s. I owned a Ducati Monster and an Aprillia RSV. Now hopefully I can afford to satisfy my passion next year. HD in Europe are ridiculously overpriced (as are all the bikes compared to US prices). For instance Street Bob starts at 13.300 USD in the states while in Europe they are sold for 22.700 USD (17.080 EUR in Austria where is my nearest shop)

To get to the point I’m deciding between Street Bob, Low Rider and Wide Glide. There is where I would like to ask you for your help and experience. Can you tell me the main difference regarding the bikes themselves and the main difference in the riding stiles? Cons and pros…
My heart is set on Street Bob but I would still like to here and there if absolutely needed take my girl along for the ride. I have seen some pictures of the bike with passenger seat mounted on. How difficult is to install one on the bike.

But to be completely honest my ideal bike would be Wild Glide rear with Street bob front handles. Do any of you have a Wild Glide with high raised handlebars?
This is my first post so I really am sorry if a similar question was raised on this forum before…
TY
Seat change is as simple as 1 screw to remove, and one to install. Primary difference between street bob and wide glide is the front end. The wide glide is raked, and doesn't handle as well as the street bob and low rider. It's not horrible, and you can get used to anything. The biggest difference between street bob and low rider is looks. The low rider is loaded with chrome and the street bob is a darker looking bike, but ride is very similar between them.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Any used bikes in your area?? Reason I ask is it sounds like a older WG would suit you perfect. Factory mini ape bars and can be outfitted with a big touring seat for comfy 2 up riding. I have a 2002 and have been turning it into quite the 2 up comfort bike. I'm 6'2 and wife 5'9 and we ride very comfortable on the WG the way I have it set up. I looked at the new bikes and just didn't seem like they would look right with those chopped fenders with a nice 2 up seat. So I bought the old style wide glide and it's perfect.

This is before I added the mustang wide touring seat and pillow pad sissy bar. I need to get a updated pic

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

You can easily swap seats and handlebars to adjust the fit and the way the bike looks. What you can't easily do is put mid controls on a bike with forwards. If you want your feet straight down, get the bob. If you like the raked out front look like a chopper, get the wide glide. If you like a lot of chrome and I think it has a tachometer, get the low rider.

My bike came with mids, but I like the fowards better. And I come from a sport bike background. My other bike is a KTM 990 SMT, but when I'm on the harley, I like my feet kicked out in front.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Guy nothing I would like better than to help you but a bike choice has to come from the heart, not from another person.

AS the others said small mods are simple, but beware of the bike/mod bug! Once it bites you your hooked for life!

Those mods we can happily help you spend your money on!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Don't put too much on reviews. Some will bash every Harley and others are so biased for Harley that they overlook stuff. Since the bikes you're looking at are pretty much alike, find what appeals to you the most. Changing seats and handlebars are the most common mods. Aside from the different rake on the WG, handling will be about the same.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:25 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm
What you can't easily do is put mid controls on a bike with forwards.
its alot easier to do at the time of purchase. i just had the dealer do it as part of the cost of the bike. cost me a coupla hundred bux.

the further forward mids help a bunch if you want mids and are 6"+, these are the stock controls on the low rider.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 PM
AQA101
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the others said, a test ride is absolutely mandatory, all three are different.

Some basic tips: Going from forwards to mid controls is far more expensive than the other way around. Don't mind the seat, there are plenty affordable high quality aftermarket seats. If you plan to change handle bars, don't let a dealer do it, they charge far too much - look for some independent guy or DIY.

And regarding pricing, a new Street Bob sells for around 15.000 EUR in Germany, same proportion for the other models. The difference to Austrian prices will easily cover transport and your first mods.

Quick Reply: Help with deciding between Dyna models