Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

security light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:10 PM
DieselDummy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security light on

Have this in another post with couple other issues, but just wanna post this here alone.

09 SG, security light comes on when you hit signal, I did replace the battery if that makes a difference, any suggestions why?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:00 AM
DieselDummy
Cruiser

Anybody?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The security light has two functions:

1. Security System Status
2. Error Code has been generated

I believe your issue is because of a drop in voltage.

The charging system on the bike generates power based on the engine RPM's. The more RPM's, the more power is generated. Most times when you use your turn signal you are stopped or at a slow speed so you're getting a weak charge at that point. While that may be enough power for a OEM system, adding too many electrical accessories or installing a cheap battery, or an undercharged battery can contribute to the issue you're having.

Also, on my 2011 Street Bob I installed LED turn signal lights. This caused two issues:

1. Hyper Flashing
2. Security light was activated (Error Code) with the turn signals

The cause of both issues were due to the fact that most automobile electrical systems are designed for incandescent bulbs, not low voltage LED bulbs.

When an incandescent bulb blows or goes out it becomes a safety hazard. Because of this the circuit has been designed to flash the dash indicator quicker than normal to make the operator aware that there is an issue with the bulb. Some vehicles also generate an error code. This is done by detecting a drop in voltage. The issue with LED lights is that they use less voltage and will give a false positive alert on a circuit designed for incandescent bulbs. Since the light is not actually out the bulb will also flash quicker than normal. This is often referred to as Hyper Flashing. The way to fix this issue is to install a voltage regulator into the main wire harness of your turn signal circuit. The voltage regulator will increase the voltage to the circuit tricking the system into thinking a functional incandescent bulb is present.

You did not mention whether or not you installed LED lights but regardless I still believe your issue is because of a drop in voltage.

Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM
DieselDummy
Cruiser

Yes I do have led signals, but had them last year also, I do have load equilizer but it makes no difference if it's in or out, so I'm think it's junk.didnt really have issue till battery was replaced, so I guess that has caused it.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:17 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My Custom Dynamics load equalizer needs to be re-programed after a power loss: Key on, Switch in run position but engine off, then right blinker 2 flashes, then left blinker 2 flashes, and then right blinker 10 flashes.

You could also swap for incandescent bulbs and see if the issue goes away. That would tell you if the load equalizer was the problem.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:02 AM
DieselDummy
Cruiser

That's what I have, I will try it, thxs