Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Need help chasing trons - indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:25 PM
B'nana
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help chasing trons - indicator lights

Hi all...Damian here, new to the forum.

I have a 2014 Road King I bought new. All was well until a big rain storm back in February. Since then the neutral/turn/oil/high beam indicators will not work right...only the Right Turn indicator lights up instead of any of the other ones - so when the left turn, high beams, or neutral lights should be ON, only the right turn is. When using the turn signals it will turn on "steady" with a very slight dimming attempt.

I've removed the right side hand controls and visually checked it...nothing seen. With the ignition switch ON, I've chased the wire harness and wiggled connectors along the way to see if the other lamps would come on...nothing. I even removed the center console on the tank and inspected those connectors...nothing.

It's behaving like a short, but the question is where.

Thanks for any help!

Damian
NYC

Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Hello Damian.
Is your bike still in warranty?
Those indicator light bars are very sensitive to suffering from water corrosion on the small circuit board inside that the LEDs are mounted on. A poor show on Harley's part as it should have better water proofing.
There's a good chance that this is what you are suffering from.

As you have a CANBUS model bike if it is a 2014 model year, the speedometer provides an earth to the required indicator lamp after it has received a computer message from the Body Control Module saying that the relevant circuit has been activated.

So for example, when you press your high beam button, this circuit is activated by the left hand control module sending a computer message to the BCM which in turn sends voltage to the high beam element of the headlamp bulb and it also sends a computer message to the speedo telling it to allow an earth path to the high beam indicator LED which lets it light up as an electrical circuit is completed.

If you're out of warranty and you're careful, you can pry away the outer shell of the indicator lamp bar once you removed it from the console and you can inspect it to see if corrosion is in there.
Typically, if that's the case then unless you're an electronics wiz or know someone who is, the only option is replacement of the sub loom that the indicator bar unit is attached to.
Maybe some one can offer their thoughts on an after market option that doesn't suffer in the same way that'll fit.

The following users liked this post:
B'nana (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38 AM
B'nana
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good place to look. I'll open it again this weekend and take a closer look at it.

Cheers!