Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Running Lights blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Running Lights blowing fuse

I guess I don't even know where to begin with this issue. My '07 is blowing the fuse for the running lights.

Backstory: Went out for a ride, came home and noticed I had no running lights. Broke out the service manual, figured out which 15 amp fuse it was for the running lights, pulled it and it was blown. Replaced it and Voila! All was good. Went out for a ride the next day, same issue, fuse blew. Replaced the fuse again and it blew instantly. I started wiggling wires, put in another fuse and the running lights started working. 5 minutes later, the fuse blew again. I started pulling the tail lights, disconnected the touring pack, etc. Put in a fuse and they started working again.... until I turned the handle bars to the right. As soon as I turned the bars, I heard the fuse pop.

Now I'm not sure where to begin. Take the fairing off and start tracing? Take it to a shop? I HATE diagnosing electrical problems!

Anyone have advice? I sure would appreciate it! Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

actually it shouldn't be that difficult to trace the running light wire issues. I think what you're going to find once you pull the fairing cap off (which is really easy) is one of the wires going into the passing lamp bar is rubbing through. Also on each horizontal fairing support that is connected to each speaker is the 2 wire connector that plugs those front running lights in. Unplug them both, replace the fuse, turn the handlebar back and forth and see if it still blows, if not, then you know where to look, from the connector down to the light. If it does still blow, then check the larger harness that is wrapped on the right side vertical fairing bracket. It's notorious for rubbing through.

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
actually it shouldn't be that difficult to trace the running light wire issues. I think what you're going to find once you pull the fairing cap off (which is really easy) is one of the wires going into the passing lamp bar is rubbing through. Also on each horizontal fairing support that is connected to each speaker is the 2 wire connector that plugs those front running lights in. Unplug them both, replace the fuse, turn the handlebar back and forth and see if it still blows, if not, then you know where to look, from the connector down to the light. If it does still blow, then check the larger harness that is wrapped on the right side vertical fairing bracket. It's notorious for rubbing through.
Awesome! Thank you very much!!

I had started trouble shooting by disconnecting the back half of the bike. I noticed a "Y" connector under the seat which had connectors that went to two different harnesses. I pulled the connector and plugged the two connectors on the harness directly together and I had running lights.... until I turned the handlebars to the right and immedietly heard the distintive "pop".

Well, looks like I'll be pulling the fairing apart tonight.

Thanks again Ultranutz!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

sure thing.. call me if you need anything.. I'll PM my number to you

ElectraJim (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

not sure if you've taken fairing cap off before or not but here goes.

first and foremost, DO NOT use a T-25 torx on these screws. If you don't have one, go by autozone, sears, harbor freight etc on your way home and grab a T-27

you'll need a 3/16" allen for the 3 windshield trim screws unless you've replaced those with something aftermarket already

grab a pair of old socks and slide them over your passing lamps to protect your fairing
take out the two outside screws on the windshield trim leaving the middle on but loosen it up and take out the windshield and set aside.
there are two t-27 screws to the bottom outside edge of each fairing speaker, take those out
there are two t-27 screws inside the forks at the neck. Take those out
now return to the middle screw on the windshield trim and remove it holding the fairing under the headlight to keep it from going south onto the top of your fender. :-)
reach back behind there and squeeze the two sides of the headlight plug and pull it off
set your fairing cap off to the side and begin your inspection

ElectraJim (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

not sure if you've taken fairing cap off before or not but here goes.

first and foremost, DO NOT use a T-25 torx on these screws. If you don't have one, go by autozone, sears, harbor freight etc on your way home and grab a T-27

you'll need a 3/16" allen for the 3 windshield trim screws unless you've replaced those with something aftermarket already

grab a pair of old socks and slide them over your passing lamps to protect your fairing
take out the two outside screws on the windshield trim leaving the middle on but loosen it up and take out the windshield and set aside.
there are two t-27 screws to the bottom outside edge of each fairing speaker, take those out
there are two t-27 screws inside the forks at the neck. Take those out
now return to the middle screw on the windshield trim and remove it holding the fairing under the headlight to keep it from going south onto the top of your fender. :-)
reach back behind there and squeeze the two sides of the headlight plug and pull it off
set your fairing cap off to the side and begin your inspection
Thank you very much!

I have full sets of torx, T-handles, bits, etc. I'm sure I have a few t27's.

I really appreciate the detailed instructions. I can't thank you enough!

Last edited by ElectraJim; 08-23-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Well, pulled off the fairing cap last night and found some, what I like to call "creative wiring". Before this had all started, I did notice a wire that was coming out from under the fairing on the right hand side as you're sitting on the bike, and it was taped up with electrical tape. I found it was bunched up and tie wrapped. Someone had tapped into the cigarette lighter and didn't do a very good job. I snipped it off and put some liquid tape over where it had been connected. Tonight, I'll wrap a little electrical tape around it just to be sure.

I started testing by disconnecting the headlight and the two spot lights. Then, I connected one spot light, turned the ignition on and moved the handlebars back and forth. No shorts. Then I connected the other spotlight and did the same thing. No shorts. Then, I plugged in the headlight, moved handlebars. No shorts. Then I started wiggling wires and inspected with a flashlight and couldn't find anything. Now, I keep my fingers crossed that the running lights won't blow anymore fuses because I'm out of fuses!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

your cig lighter is on the accessory circuit and your running lamps on the lighting circuit so they shouldn't be affecting each other in any way. However, if you have butchered up wiring back there, it's possible that it will.

Hopefully that solves your issue

Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

your cig lighter is on the accessory circuit and your running lamps on the lighting circuit so they shouldn't be affecting each other in any way. However, if you have butchered up wiring back there, it's possible that it will.

Hopefully that solves your issue
Ya, I know they aren't related at all, which is weird. I couldn't find any other bare wires, or any other places where the insulation around harnesses were worn or any other strange wiring or burn marks. All I found was the bodged up wiring job to the cig lighter. I haven't buttoned it all back up yet and I'm going to give another once over.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Well, so much for that. Took the wife out for a short ride and running lights blew a fuse again. Looks like I've a lot more digging to do to find out what the hell is causing the short.

Quick Reply: Running Lights blowing fuse