Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

need help...missing wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help...missing wires

bike was bought used so cannot attest to what was done before me....but have had some throttle/TGS error that has forced me to do some digging. have found several wires that appear missing/cut....can anyone tell me what these are for and if its an issue they are cut?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Year and model?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

sorry.....2014 street glide special. and obviously the one is the rear of the voltage display and the other the fuel. I also believe that small one is part of the handlebar harness....but just curious what the specific wires are for. everything seems to function fine other than the aforementioned TGS issue.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

so as far as I can tell when going through the wiring diagram in the manual....both the voltmeter and fuel display only have three wires coming out. so I am wondering if they just used a harness/connector with 4 inputs and simply cut off the fourth/unused one??

Old 02-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Check the following link for your wiring diagram: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

three wires....not four

Old 02-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

and then for the other it looks like its one of the two connectors for the right handlebar controls. again looks like there is only one wire for the one plug, not two....so perhaps in all three cases these are in fact extra/unnecessary wires which is why they are all cut and not used. does that make sense, am I looking at it right?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Wire colors on the VM and Fuel gauge don't make sense. Are there any splices or do the same colors go to connector 39B?
Do you know whether the bike may have been in a wreck, flood .... or some reason it needed new wiring?
Bill

Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

Yes it was in fact a rebuild which is why I figured the colors didn’t always match. I assume they just “used what they had” and cut off any excess/unused wires.

Originally Posted by Vernal
Wire colors on the VM and Fuel gauge don't make sense. Are there any splices or do the same colors go to connector 39B?
Do you know whether the bike may have been in a wreck, flood .... or some reason it needed new wiring?
Bill

Old 02-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

I rebuilt 2 totaled 2012 limiteds so have no problem with doing it.
I checked a few different years touring 2010 and 2004 and also looked at a couple softail drawings and couldn't come up with that color combo for the gauges. I'm not against splicing or making your own harness if it is done right. If the gauges are performing as designed that's great. If your still having issues with limp mode you may want to check all the wiring from the twist grip sensors to the ECM and ECM to the Throttle Control Actuator.
Bill

Quick Reply: need help...missing wires