Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 AM
B-RAD22
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Security System

Hello,

I would like to install a security system on my 2016 Road King. The main reason I want it is not so much the alarm just so I do not have to take my key out and lock the bike every time I stop (essentially I like the convenience of proximity fob). I checked with the local Harley dealer and it will cost almost $700 bucks for the module and install (please note I live in Canada so that is in CDN dollars).

Does anyone know the part that this module is for my Raod King? Can I install myself?

Also is there an alternative route I can take? Any aftermarket (affordable) security modules I can purchase that would allow for a proximity fob?

Thanks,
B-RAD

Old 04-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

From 2017 Parts and Accessories Catalog

Old 05-27-2019, 11:36 AM
mr_breeze
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m looking for the same thing. The dealer quoted me 300 for the module. Another dealer told me they don’t go back that far (2003 Road King). I’m looking at the Scorpio SRX 800. $129.00 on Scorpio web site, plus $29.95 for the ignition disable and another $29.99 for the plug and play harness. I may pull the plug on it today as they are offering an extra fob with order on Memorial Day. They have another model SRX 900 with a screen on the remote, alarm trigger notification, set up options, etc. I had this on my on my 08 Electra Glide and it worked great for years. Going with the simplified version this time. Let us know if you find another option.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:33 PM
B-RAD22
6th Gear

Hey, thanks for the info.

Just wondering did you get a chance to install the Scorpio and how did it turn out?

Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
mr_breeze
Advanced

Originally Posted by B-RAD22
Hey, thanks for the info.

Just wondering did you get a chance to install the Scorpio and how did it turn out?

I did. I bought the set up described above. Install was easy. All plug and play except one wire spliced inline to the ignition wire at the fuse box. Everything fit well under the seat. Four soft chirps when it arms and one soft chirp for disarm. It arms as soon as I get off the bike (I think 5 second delay). Disarms automatically as I get on. So far no issues. Fob is not over sized but has a large button for manual arm/disarm. I recommend it.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 AM
B-RAD22
6th Gear

Hey, its me again.

I am back on this to get my bike ready for the summer riding. I just want to understand the functionality of this product.

I understand it is an alarm, but does it disengage the ignition when i walk away from the bike (the fob in my pocket) so nobody will simply turn the ignition and start it up and reengage the ignition when I approach the bike?

Essentially I wouldn't need to take my key out, and lock the ignition, and unlock when I stop at store and go inside?

Old 01-28-2020, 04:49 PM
mr_breeze
Advanced

Yes, that is why I bought it. I wanted the walk away function. It chirps once when you get on the bike to let you know it disarmed and chirps four quick times when you get off to let you know it is armed. It comes with the shock/tilt sensor. You have to purchase the ignition kill module separately ($30.00). Everything is plug and play (with the $30 harness) except the ignition kill module. It is a simple splice into the ignition wire at the fuse box. The whole install can be done in an hour. Works great for me.. 200 bucks well spent!

Last edited by mr_breeze; 01-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

We have a proximity security system on our latest car. They are dead easy to defeat, despite being factory installed! They are less secure than a removable key IMHO. We keep our two fobs in separate 'faraday cage' security bags, so they cannot be scammed. Just a thought! High value autos with proximity systems are particularly susceptible to being stolen.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (02-05-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 08:56 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We have a proximity security system on our latest car. They are dead easy to defeat, despite being factory installed!
Carry some beefy chain:

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-31-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Carry some beefy chain:

Great photo! However a few years ago three pals went to a major bike meeting and chained their bikes together. There were many thousands of other bikes, but theirs were all stolen. It was thought they were all lifted together, never to be seen again!

Quick Reply: Security System