Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

CFL Custom build--Headlight quit working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Canamkid
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFL Custom build--Headlight quit working

This is a CFL custom buildup (I didn't build it). When I first bought the bike, everything worked fine, no issues. Then one night a few weeks ago the headlight wouldn't turn on when I went to fire the bike up. Checked the headlight, no problems (plugged it into my Softail to verify dims and brights). The headlight turns on and off via an 'old on that' toggle switch that the builder installed into the headlight bucket. I checked continuity on that switch, and it's fine. The white and yellow headlight wires run down the inside of the backbone and connect to a 5-pin relay that controls the dimming/bright. The relay is triggered by the 'bright' switch on the handlebars. I tested the relay (all three separate tests) and it's fine. The circuit runs through a 15-amp Circuit Breaker, which I verified for continuity and it's fine. All the other accessories come on when you turn on the key switch.

I tested the headlight in-bike by connecting a separate battery to the headlight wires and the headlight lights up, and will turn on and off with the on/off switch.

The dimmer switch energizes the relay; you can hear the "click".

So unless I"m missing something obvious, every part of this circuit is good...but still no headlight.

Thoughts? I'm sure I'm leavng out info that someone needs....

Thanks
Logan

Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Continuity checks are only part of the story.
Have you checked each point for voltage and traced power in the circuit?
That, and the testing you have done might expose a fault or even a loose connection.
Move the wires around while testing.