Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Power/No Power (no ignition, radio, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:18 AM
zigzag930
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Power/No Power (no ignition, radio, etc)

I have a strange issue with power to the bike. Sometimes I turn the key on and I get power, other times, nothing. At least that's how it started. When I got power, I was able to start the bike and ride it no problem.

But today, while I was riding - suddenly, no power. Bike completely shut down, radio, engine, etc. Nothing. I flipped the ignition switch a few times and finally got power back. Started and rode again. Lost power a second time and drove the bike home.

On the way, I rode over as many "bumpy" surfaces I could find to see if something was loose and causing intermittent problems, but no. When I pulled in the garage, I jiggled the ignition switch in every direction, no problems.

Not sure if this might be a relay, ECM issue, ignition cluster problem or other - would like to know where I should start.

By the way, battery is fully charged and charging system is working. Battery about 1 yr old extra capacity. Bike is 2015 FLTRUSE (CVO RG Ultra)

Old 04-29-2024, 12:41 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Did this start happening out of the clear blue? Did anything to the bike prior? Check battery cables? Check for codes?

Old 04-29-2024, 01:08 PM
zigzag930
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Going back about 6 months ago, the bike was running fine, but then I hadn't used it in a few months. When I went to start it, it gave me trouble (no power) a few times but then started and ran fine. Bike had been on a trickle charge the whole time and battery was charged up.

So, I thought maybe changing the battery in the FOB might have something to do with this issue and replaced it. At 1st I thought that might have fixed the issue - but no.

Every now and then, I'd have to rock the ignition switch 5-6 times to get the power to come on, but once it powered up the bike ran fine..... until yesterday.

Yesterday, when I was able to get it running - the bike died several times. I had not used any switches on the right handlebar multi switch (directional, etc). Power went completely dead. Engine, gauges, radio - everything. Rocking the run/stop switch got me going again for a while, then parked the bike for a bit. When I restarted it, it ran about 5 mins and then completely died again. I was able to start it once more and drive it home (about 25 min ride to the house).

No changes at all to the bike have been made recently.

I haven't been able to pull the codes as I'm not sure how to do this on the CVO. There is no "ignition switch" that I am aware of and all instructions I've read talk about a combination of ignition switch, reset odometer switch and run/stop switch. I tried holding the ODO switch down and going to run mode, but that didn't work.

Thanks for helping.