Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

help with no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM
mike96
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with no spark.

alright so i am a bit new to Harley's and i need a little help. i have been working on metric bikes and cars for a while so electrical and maintenance isn't a real big deal. but the way Harley does thing is a little confusing. the bike is quite a feet of engineering in its self, from what i can tell it is a 1961 shovel head frame with an 84 EVO engine shoved into it. when i picked up the bike it had all of about 5 wires on it and everyone who i spoke to about this ride swore up and down that they have seen this thing run.....

anyway long story short i picked up an ignition module from an 84 shovel-head and an electronic pickup and have started to see if i can get this thing to fire. problem is that i cant make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams because there are so many different models for different years. the ignition module i picked up has PN 32412-80A 2481 on it. wiring the pick up to the module is easy, match wire color to wire color. there is one wire that grounds to the frame, piece of cake.

this is where i get a little lost, there are two wires going to the coil..... which one goes where. from what i can tell there has to be power going to the ignition module and coil...... where? thats my question? all i am looking to do is get this thing started so that i can make sure there is nothing really wrong with the engine its self. then it will more than likely be coming apart for a full rebuild. if you need anymore information feel free to ask.

thank you for any and all help
mike

Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could look on Ebay for 84 EVO service manuals.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
jasle
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I always love the Oh so helpful "go buy the manual" posts. Its really funny on the metric boards when I ask someone will post a schematic or testing tips or some knowledge they had. Here everyone just markets the $85per manual. Seems unreasonable to buy the entire manual for one schematic.

i'm also working on a no spark issue and looking for advice. Mine is a 98 but the black/white wires go to the pos side of the coil. pink wire to the neg side. Appears the spark is created when the neg is applied to the pink wire. When ignition is turned on you have +12V to both white/black and Pink. In the troubleshooting section it shows disconnecting the pink wire and making a jumper to ground with a capacitor on it to manually spark the coil. PM me direct and I can send the schematics via email