Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

120st

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 AM
Lrodman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120st

2014 Streetglide. Harley is installing the 120ST and I知 running Vance and Hines bagger duals. Harley is telling me that they cannot tune with the Screaming Eagle tuner. Tech service recommended changing to Screaming Eagle head pipes or running a different tuner. But if I run a different tuner they will not warrant the motor. I really don稚 want to run SE exhaust it kind of defeats the purpose of going with the 120 if I知 going to choke it back down.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Lrodman
2014 Streetglide. Harley is installing the 120ST and I知 running Vance and Hines bagger duals. Harley is telling me that they cannot tune with the Screaming Eagle tuner. Tech service recommended changing to Screaming Eagle head pipes or running a different tuner. But if I run a different tuner they will not warrant the motor. I really don稚 want to run SE exhaust it kind of defeats the purpose of going with the 120 if I知 going to choke it back down.
bullsh!t,this dealer sounds shady & has no clue on tuning bikes.id never trust a dealer for tuning anyway

Old 10-25-2018, 05:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
bullsh!t,this dealer sounds shady & has no clue on tuning bikes.id never trust a dealer for tuning anyway

You could always take it to a local indy for a tune........

Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Sounds mighty odd.
I'd seek another opinion.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Have to agree with all of the above responses,

Do you own any type of tuning device now? Was it ever re-mapped after your exhaust change?

I'm assuming they are trying to sell you one of the new SE Pro Street Tuners which is extremely limited in what it can do, my guess is they won't tune it anyway just load the map. VE's can be adjusted and not much else with that tuner and I would expect the canned map would come up way short even with the SE exhaust they are trying to sell you. There is NO REPLACEMENT for a proper dyno tune and from the sounds of it these guys really don't understand what they are telling you.

Where you at in PA? Roders is in northeast OH they would be worth talking to, Wide Open Cycles is in VA, many good dyno tuners out there just have to find them. I travel 6 hours one way for the guy I use and he's worth it.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Passing on a warranty on the 120ST would not be a good idea IMHO since those motors have had issues in the past; not pandemic but there have been issues. So, the way I see it the OP only has two options, the first being go along with the dealer and the SE head pipes and, more than likely, a poor tune and rideability issues or, the second being to run, not walk, away from that dealer, take a deep breath and consider other options of which there are many.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Lrodman
Stage III

I have the Pro Street Tuner, it's the one that they are trying to say doesn't have enough range. Talked with my mechanic and he suggested to go with the Power Vision. I refuse to put SE exhaust, the warranty is for only 1 year on motor so I'll just have to eat it. Really sucks because I brought bike in to put cams and they found a bunch of metal shavings which came from a faulty oil pump. That is the reason I was putting the 120. And of course warranty ran out in April. Bike has always been serviced by Harley. Another not so satisfied customer.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:37 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey call fuelmoto moto the have a warranty on there engines for 18 or 24 months I beleave and you can use a tuner from them and still be under warranty

Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Lrodman
Stage III
Default .

Originally Posted by djl
Passing on a warranty on the 120ST would not be a good idea IMHO since those motors have had issues in the past; not pandemic but there have been issues. So, the way I see it the OP only has two options, the first being go along with the dealer and the SE head pipes and, more than likely, a poor tune and rideability issues or, the second being to run, not walk, away from that dealer, take a deep breath and consider other options of which there are many.
Motor is already in bike. Will know better next time.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd like to know why they say they can't tune your bike with their own brand tuner??

But anyway, dealerships aren't known for their tuning skills that's for sure

Quick Reply: 120st