Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine sumping

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 PM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine sumping

Can someone give me the correct way to check for sumping on an 06 ultra?
I know the basics but just wondering if the bike needs to be completely up to temp and do I want to take it for a ride and come back and let it idle for some period of time? or just start it and let it idle for a couple minutes and then check it?

Old 06-24-2019, 05:48 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 589 Likes on 308 Posts
Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 589 Likes on 308 Posts

www dot v-twinforum dot com/forums/twin-cam-engine/107387-procedure-check-wet-sumping.html

Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytq
Can someone give me the correct way to check for sumping on an 06 ultra?
What makes you think the motor sumping? Have you been in the cam chest?

If the motor is sumping, there will be oil in the crankcase now. Just take a spin, normal riding, to get the bike warmed up. If the pump is not scavenging, it doesn't matter if the motor reaches operating temp or not; oil will be in the crankcase. Carefully, pull the case drain plug and measure what comes out; should be 4-6 ounces. If more comes out, the motor is likely sumping. I have drained nearly a quart from a sumping motor.

If the bike feels sluggish, like you are dragging an anchor and the motor heats up and gets hot really quick; those are sumping symptoms.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM
harleytq
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
What makes you think the motor sumping? Have you been in the cam chest?

If the motor is sumping, there will be oil in the crankcase now. Just take a spin, normal riding, to get the bike warmed up. If the pump is not scavenging, it doesn't matter if the motor reaches operating temp or not; oil will be in the crankcase. Carefully, pull the case drain plug and measure what comes out; should be 4-6 ounces. If more comes out, the motor is likely sumping. I have drained nearly a quart from a sumping motor.

If the bike feels sluggish, like you are dragging an anchor and the motor heats up and gets hot really quick; those are sumping symptoms.
I should start out saying this is a new S&S124. I pulled the plug on the engine cold, sitting for a week and got about 10-11oz out. But the issue I am having is an excessive engine braking when letting off the throttle. Did this right away after it was tuned, Got good dyno results though.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

tight engine will brake more

Old 06-25-2019, 09:54 AM
harleytq
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bustert
tight engine will brake more
Well its not exactly new, I have about 4000 miles on it, bought it last summer and only had a couple months left to ride, by the time I got it tuned.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

I should start out saying this is a new S&S124. I pulled the plug on the engine cold, sitting for a week and got about 10-11oz out. But the issue I am having is an excessive engine braking when letting off the throttle. Did this right away after it was tuned, Got good dyno results though.

Do it right as the issue happens. Pull the clutch in, kill the motor and coast to a stop. Drain the case. 10-11oz is likely OK if you are draining from the SnS case plug. Is the motor all SnS. What is being used for an oil pump?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:47 AM
harleytq
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Do it right as the issue happens. Pull the clutch in, kill the motor and coast to a stop. Drain the case. 10-11oz is likely OK if you are draining from the SnS case plug. Is the motor all SnS. What is being used for an oil pump?
Took it out for a little ride today and checked it again when I got back, same thing about 11oz.
Yes engine is all S&S, there are 2 plugs, looks to me like I want the one on left, the right one looks like maybe for cam chest.
The oil pump is stock, I think part number 31-6503, looks like its integrated into the cam plate? Never been apart so only guessing because they gave me an instruction pamphlet for installation. Says S&S oil pump for T-series engines and twin cam 88 engines.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

That would have been helpful to know from the jump. Not familiar with how much oil should be in the sump of an S&S 124.

Quick Reply: Engine sumping