Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

103ci oil leak between head and rocker box

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:52 AM
InvertedMenace
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 103ci oil leak between head and rocker box

Hey everyone Im new here with my first post.
2012 softail blackline 103ci
The bike has almost 16k miles and has developed a seeping oil leak between the head and lower rocker box.
Its on the rear left corner of the rear cylinder.
My questions.
1 Do I need any special tools? (I have torque wrenchs)
2 Is there anything else I should look into replacing while Im there?
3 Any gasget recommendations?
Its a very small leak that just started. Is it ok to ride the bike or should this be fixed immediately?
Thanks in advance for any info and I hope I was specific enough with my description.
Oh I ordered a service manual also for torque specs tighten sequence etc.
thank you

Old 03-14-2021, 02:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The procedure is well laid out in the service manual. You may just need to re-torque the fasteners that secure the lower rocker box and head but once you have gotten to that point, replacing the gasket is just six fasterners away. Being on the rear cylinder you will likely have to raise or remove the tank. Not familiar with the Blackline but being Softail, I hope you can raise the tank enough from the rear and not have to deal witht the fuel cross over in the front. I have changed the cross over on my '05 Deuce so removing the tank is not such a PITA; photo attached. JMHO but replacing the push rod tube o-rings and the o-ring between the rocker arm support plate and lower rocker box would be worthwhile. Inspect the rocker shafts for witness marks near the "notched" end and if seen, install a set of Rocker Lockers. No special tools required and the hardest part of the job will be snapping the pesky push rod tube retaining clips back into place.

BTW, the attached photo is one way to solve the Softail fuel cross over problem. Depending on the angle of the "nipples" attached to the tank, it may be necessary to route the fuel lines different from those in the photo. On my Deuce, it was easier to route the right side line from the barb to the left down tube and visa versa.

The following users liked this post:
InvertedMenace (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:09 PM
InvertedMenace
Novice

I appreciate the info and it sounds pretty straightforward.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:02 PM
tdrglide
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

Has any work ever been done on it before involving the rocker boxes? Clean and double check where it's coming from. Stock Harley rocker box gaskets, both upper and lower have worked the best for me. No harm in just ridding it if it's a nice day out. Especially if just a seep, no weird noises or anything. But it would bug me.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:49 AM
InvertedMenace
Novice

No work done to rocker box it just started seeping. I cleaned up the area of leak and am going to take her for a ride today n see how it looks. I was a little rough on her last ride(Daytona) and see how it looks. I have read a few people saying that the seeping sometimesgoes away...we'll see what happens.
thanks for the reply I REALLY appreciate any help I get.
Thank you

Old 03-21-2021, 08:23 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,801 Likes on 3,544 Posts

If you decide to disassemble and replace the gaskets, make sure you do this before reassembly...

Use compressed air to blow out or a Q-tip to soak up any oil in the bottom of the threaded holes. If you don't, you could compress any oil in the bottom and cause hydraulic lock which could cause the bottom of the hole to blow out. It would be like installing a bolt that was too long and broke through the bottom.

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by roussfam:
InvertedMenace (03-21-2021), pgreer (03-22-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:07 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Might want to replace the breather valves while you're in there. These could quite possibly be the the cause of the leak in the first place. They don't last forever and when they don't open/close properly, excess crankcase pressure builds.