Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

VOES Switch Explained

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

trash it and live a better life. with todays fuel, the extra ign lead is a killer with ping. I change out the stock ign for an ultima and ran the voes for awhile but always had issues with ping so I trashed it and now hardly any clutch off ping. the lead is now rpm controlled and where I ride, it is full adv anyway. I push the 7.5k range and do not have heat issues as I am way past the speedo range with plenty of air movement. riding in traffic has less ping as lead is not full like with voes. let us face it, voes is actually an EPA thingy.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Bmichell
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Wide Glide

I recently picked up a 1997 Wide Glide from a friend. The bike has been garaged since 1999, due to the death of the previous owner. My friends family held onto the bike for years due to sentimental value but they did take it out of the garage once a month and run it for while. Just before I picked the bike up my friend started the bike and all was good. I trailered it back to my place so I shut the fuel valve off while I transported it. When I got it home the battery was dead so I purchased a new battery and installed it but the bike would not start. I checked for spark but did not see any spark so I changed the plugs, wires and coil. Still would not start. I confirmed that the fuel had stabilizer added to it and the fuel smelled ok. After some additional checking I found that I was not getting any fuel to the carburetor. I immediately thought that the screen on the valve in the tank must be gummed up. I removed the valve at which time I realized there was a vacuum diaphragm on the valve. That's when I read about the VOES to which the vacuum line from the valve is connected. I pulled the diaphragm apart and it looked to be in good shape. I purchased a new valve which I am getting ready to install but my hopes are not high that the bike will start. I looked through the manual for additional information on the VOES so that I would be able to look into troubleshooting it as well. So I really appreciate your post that describes what the device is, how it works and what it does. From everything I have read and looked into it seems that the valve is not receiving the required amount of vacuum to allow the fuel to flow through the valve. I an also going to look at replacing the vacuum lines as well.

Any other things I should look at to resolve this issue?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Revtech125
1st Gear
Default Voes or rev limiter?

The problem your experiencing sounds more like the rev limiter! Do you have stock ignition?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Rendell
Novice
Default Voes.

I understand that the VOES has everything to do with fuel flow, and ignition advance. my question is about non running fuel flow. when my 97 Heritage springer (96 inch S&S EVO high compression) is turned off with the fuel petcock in the run or res, position, fuel runs to the ground from the over flow. when the petcock is in off position it will not leak. I am thinking that the float is not functional and I need a carb rebuild, But would you replace the petcock and VOES, just to ensure proper function?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The VOES normally has nothing to do with fuel flow- however, if it won’t hold vacuum, it may keep the petcock from opening properly. If the VOES will hold a vacuum and switches at the proper setting, there is no need to change it.
The petcock should also hold vacuum.
Make sure your fuel tank is venting properly. If it isn’t, it can build pressure and blow the needle off it’s seat.

Last edited by jbarr1; 05-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rendell (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rendell
I understand that the VOES has everything to do with fuel flow, and ignition advance. my question is about non running fuel flow. when my 97 Heritage springer (96 inch S&S EVO high compression) is turned off with the fuel petcock in the run or res, position, fuel runs to the ground from the over flow. when the petcock is in off position it will not leak. I am thinking that the float is not functional and I need a carb rebuild, But would you replace the petcock and VOES, just to ensure proper function?
As stated, voes has nothing to do with the fuel except that it need a vacuum to operate.. If you have fuel flowing out the carb overflow with the petcock set to on or res and it's stock then you have 2 issues. If it is a non vacuum petcock you have only 1.

1. If stock petcock, the petcock needs rebuild or replace

2. Float / needle / seat have issues so it likely needs a rebuild.

The issue could simply be that the petcock valve seal tore and a piece made its way down to the float needle and is keeping the needle from seating. If the bike has been sitting, both are worth a rebuild.

The following users liked this post:
Rendell (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Rendell
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
As stated, voes has nothing to do with the fuel except that it need a vacuum to operate.. If you have fuel flowing out the carb overflow with the petcock set to on or res and it's stock then you have 2 issues. If it is a non vacuum petcock you have only 1.

1. If stock petcock, the petcock needs rebuild or replace

2. Float / needle / seat have issues so it likely needs a rebuild.

The issue could simply be that the petcock valve seal tore and a piece made its way down to the float needle and is keeping the needle from seating. If the bike has been sitting, both are worth a rebuild.

Roger that. Thank you

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Rendell
Novice

Originally Posted by jbarr1
The VOES normally has nothing to do with fuel flow- however, if it won’t hold vacuum, it may keep the petcock from opening properly. If the VOES will hold a vacuum and switches at the proper setting, there is no need to change it.
The petcock should also hold vacuum.
Make sure your fuel tank is venting properly. If it isn’t, it can build pressure and blow the needle off it’s seat.

Roger that. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:34 AM
Fblo1690
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

My bike wouldn’t idle consistently making me think I had a jetting problem was also getting a whopping 23 mpg on a stock 80”. Low and behold the VOES was bad. Replaced it, all is well. So I’ve seen people ask before “Can the VOES affect idle?” YES it absolutely can! I chased the problem for a couple months until I finally checked it.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Fblo1690
My bike wouldn’t idle consistently making me think I had a jetting problem was also getting a whopping 23 mpg on a stock 80”. Low and behold the VOES was bad. Replaced it, all is well. So I’ve seen people ask before “Can the VOES affect idle?” YES it absolutely can! I chased the problem for a couple months until I finally checked it.
While from this experience, a layman might think that the VOES switch effects fueling because the mileage changed, it does not. It only effects timing which effects engine efficiency. The Voee switch is nothing more than a manifold pressure switch that tells the ignition module to switch between on of 2 timing curves. Going from "23 mpg to all is well" sound like an extreme example unless "all is well is say 28 mpg.. I've not sent any time messing with Voes but have owned a couple EVOs without VOES, One gets about 39-40 mpg and the other got about 40-45, One thing to note is that they were tuned to run without VOES.

Quick Reply: VOES Switch Explained