Europe All of Europe "Hey, it's small!"

Moving to Germany!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 PM
tim98
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Plus there are things on Europe bikes that are required there that aren't on your stock USA Harley.
I'd also inquire if your bike would pass before taking it with you. It's more than pipes.
Your right it's more than pipes but it does not need to be eurospec. You don't have to worry about the jiffy. There are plenty of American spec bikes here driven by US SERVICE members. The inspection/registration station is ran by the Air Force.

I can get the inspection criteria for bikes for you. Most of it its safety, oil leaks, and lights. There are specifics if you have aftermarket mirrors or lightsregarding size and position.

The bright colors are not "required" but are highly encouraged. You will also have to take an MSF course here. Also very important your stateside license does not expire while your here. Regardless if your states says it's good after it expires because your in the military. There is a huge issue right now with German police revoking a license if your states licence is expired.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Things get really crazy here....today I learned wearing a helmet with no ECE is like wearing no helmet and costs 15 €!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:22 PM
tim98
Advanced

Originally Posted by german ladyrider
Things get really crazy here....today I learned wearing a helmet with no ECE is like wearing no helmet and costs 15 €!
Fortunately Air Force military service members only need the DOT helmets. I think Army makes their people wear ECE.

These things can be confusing

Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts
Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by haak30
I have a few questions for all you current German riders out there. How is passing the TUV, especially with the 95 DBA rating. Do I have to run stock exhaust or what exhaust are you guys passing with? By the way, I have an 09 night train.
Are there any ECE half helmets?
Are there any good rallies that are a must attend? Do they have bike nights like we do in the states? I'll be there in July and am really looking forward to riding the alps and all over Europe!
Thanks for your help!
Welcome to Europe, haak30!

If you decide to join us in July for the 2015 European HDF M&G, we could hook up at the Ramstein AB main gate on July 23!

If you need route info just shoot me a PM...I have tons of route files for Garmin and TomTom.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:52 PM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the links, I'll have to click on them when I get a chance. As as 28 July, if I get my shipment in before the , I will let you know!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Toddcarp2003
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding in Germany (bavaria) for two years. Let me know if you have any questions. You're gonna love it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by tim98
You can wear DOT helmets here, but yes they do have ECE half helmets. Their is a store in Kaiserslautern that I got my helmet from. Very reasonable prices.
The DOT comment is incorrect all over Europe. ECE standards are stricter than DOT standards and DOT do not comply with the requirement. Half helmets are not allowed either, this information was obtained from the Motorrad instructors that taught the BRC in April down in Vogelweh. In order to comply with German motorcycle law you must have either a 3/4, full or modular helmet that is ECE standard. People do ride with DOT helmets and 1/2 helmets but if you get into an accident there may be a line of duty determination and you may be liable for medical expenses. There is a reasonably priced motorcycle store there in K town that you can purchase gear from but I do not remember the name right off the top of my head.

Additional info can be found here: http://www.eur.army.mil/rmv/
One more edit: http://www.usafe.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123057972
Yea it is an older story but it is still applicable.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 05-19-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM
tim98
Advanced

I will double check but I'm 99% sure US Air Force active duty only require a DOT approved helmet. You can wear the ECE helmets and meet the requirement. Air Force members follow different licensing, PPE, and road rules then other services when riding in Germany. I can't comment on other European countries.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My bike gets boxed up and shipped on Monday. I'm still alittle worried about the exhaust note and passing the inspection. How strict how they on the decibel rating for the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Moving to Germany!