EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S Super E Gas Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 PM
fatbuda
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S Super E Gas Leak

I have just joined this forum so hi to everyone!
So now to my problem, I have gas coming out of the bellows seal on the top of the throttle pump pushrod, I have changed out the diaphragm, spring, check *****, o rings and the float bowl gasket, but still I have the leak every time i use the throttle. As far as I am aware the diaphragm being faulty or wrongly installed is the only thing that can cause this, but before I drop the bowl and check the diaphragm I was wondering if anyone out there can confirm this, cheers.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Sometimes it's tough getting the Accelerator pump back together properly because of the springs... Much easier with the carb off of the bike... Sounds like your gonna have to take it off and back apart... You did't put the check ball back together backwards did you?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 PM
fatbuda
Stage IV

Hi 98hotrodfatboy, we installed the pump assembly with the float bowl off the biket, the check ball went in: spring, check ball, O ring, pump cap, which is the right way. Just out of interest if we had put it in ball first and then the spring, is your thought that when gas was pumped it would have no-where to go and the pressure would force the gas past the diaphrgm and up the throttle tube housing? To be honest I think the diaphragm isn't properly seated, but just wanted confirmation that it could'nt be coming from anywhere else, cheers.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbuda
Hi 98hotrodfatboy, we installed the pump assembly with the float bowl off the biket, the check ball went in: spring, check ball, O ring, pump cap, which is the right way. Just out of interest if we had put it in ball first and then the spring, is your thought that when gas was pumped it would have no-where to go and the pressure would force the gas past the diaphrgm and up the throttle tube housing? To be honest I think the diaphragm isn't properly seated, but just wanted confirmation that it could'nt be coming from anywhere else, cheers.
Yes I meant removing the bowl not the hole carb and yes that is correct but I would first think a diaphragm issue.... Both check ***** are in there?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 PM
fatbuda
Stage IV

Yes we renewed the diaphragm, diaphragm spring, check ***** and spring, o rings, throttle push rod, bellows, and the bowl gasket. Am I right in thinking that there is no where else the gas could be coming from other than the diaphragm? what do you think?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Is the float sticking allowing the carb to fill up? How bad is it pissing? If it was mine I would just rebuild it. The kits are pretty cheap. It sounds like a diaphragm isn't seated.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

If the accelerator pump gasket isn't seated right the gas will come out of there. If gas is coming out of the overflow tube or the mouth of the carb it is generally the float valve (needle worn, or angle not set correctly, or hole in the float body).