EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'86 FXST Front End Custom Build Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM
RamblnRose84
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '86 FXST Front End Custom Build Questions...

Does anyone here have any experience with swapping out the front forks of an old FXST ('86) to a springer front end? And, possibly willing to walk me thru what pieces and parts I'll need besides the front end? I've got a few leads on front ends but I'd like to not build a death trap and work myself into a bad rake/trail scenario. So any input is greatly appreciated.

I'd really like to run a fatter front tire as well because I like fat tires like I like chubby chicks. And, I learned that means I'm looking for an FL or Heritage Springer front end. Are there years that are better than others? Also, I'd like to run spoke wheels but all the info has me a hair confused.

I know this isn't a fast process and in fact I'm a pretty patient guy these days. But I am a planner, researcher, and like to learn the proper way to do things. I've already been ran over by a negligent cager and lost my left leg below the knee so I'd like to not build a bike that's a death trap. I'm building it to ride not show so being within safe parameters for handling is important to me.

After messaging with Tom84FXST a couple times he appears to sound like a reliable source for info, but I also wanted to get info from others as well. Any tips, hints, or points toward solid resources is greatly appreciated.

Have a good evening fellas!

P.S. I cross posted this from the Softail forum because they have tons of info on newer models, but lack info for my 31 year old FXST.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 652 Posts

I have ridden a few springers and will say this. Buy an oem springer or a paughco. One with a shock works better. Don't buy a DNA

If you get a complete front end off of an evo springer softail it will probably just bolt up. But you didn't tell us anything about the frame you have to know about rake and trail and length needed. Most custom frames and stock frames use a one inch stem.

The following users liked this post:
RamblnRose84 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 AM
RamblnRose84
Novice

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I have ridden a few springers and will say this. Buy an oem springer or a paughco. One with a shock works better. Don't buy a DNA

If you get a complete front end off of an evo springer softail it will probably just bolt up. But you didn't tell us anything about the frame you have to know about rake and trail and length needed. Most custom frames and stock frames use a one inch stem.
Ok, sorry for the lack of info. Currently the '86 FXST is pretty much stock except for the pipes, breather, and front wheel. I plan on using the stock frame and the motor. From what I've been able to find the the neck is a 32 degree rake, but I've also seen 30 degree. And, then there's the question about wether the triple tree is raked or not (people have said anywhere between 2-3 degree rake). Quite frankly it seems like there's a lot of people guessing.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Also, it appears I'm on the right track. Because after looking around the only front ends I am considering are OEM or Paughco.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

A stock softail frame has 30 degree rake to the neck. The softail standard and custom have raked trees. The fatboy and heritage do not. That being said the springer will not either. But the springer is an entirely different front end but can use the same neck cups.

An oem springer will bolt right up to your bike. A stock length paughco springer will bolt right up to your bike, You will need different wheel spacers, front brake caliper, fender, and handlebar risers to go from a regular telescoping hydraulic front end to a springer.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

here you go. This is a catalog from paughco for their springers. They are very good quality.....but pricey. I have had a few over the years. Oem holds up well too. The reason why I say NO to DNA is that they buckle and break. Very cheap build quality. That being said there are a ton of other companies that make custom springers with different looks and prices. I would plan on spending over a grand to do it. Keep posting here if you have any other questions and take a gander on ebay for used takeoff. You best and cheapest route is going to be to buy an oem takeoff used on ebay or a local shop hopefully with the wheel, brake, and caliper.

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/index.html

Last edited by misfitJason; 08-17-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,452 Likes on 5,452 Posts

The softail standard and custom have raked trees. The fatboy and heritage do not. That being said the springer will not either. .

Springers are de-raked in the stem...The FX 4.5 degrees ...the FL 7.5 degrees...you can buy a kit from vulcan to remove the de-rake so they are an inline springer...you have to do the math on trail to see what that will do to the handling.

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Harley-...-Rake-Kit.html

Old 08-17-2017, 01:07 PM
RamblnRose84
Novice

A stock softail frame has 30 degree rake to the neck. The softail standard and custom have raked trees. The fatboy and heritage do not. That being said the springer will not either. But the springer is an entirely different front end but can use the same neck cups.

An oem springer will bolt right up to your bike. A stock length paughco springer will bolt right up to your bike, You will need different wheel spacers, front brake caliper, fender, and handlebar risers to go from a regular telescoping hydraulic front end to a springer.
Do you by chance know the rake of the trees?

Is it the 4.5 degrees Tom84FXST mentioned below?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:48 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

I may be wrong on the 30 degree. It's either 32 or 30 but I believe that the rake of the trees is 2 degrees on the standard compared to the heritage