EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Motor maybe gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday, 29 November, Bike is done.

$4120.XX Parts, labor, taxes, etc. New crank, bearings, jugs, pistons, cam and Torrington bearing and a new stator while they were there at my request. Same heads, pushrods, lower cases, and pump reassembly.

The Service Department had it cleaned, polished, and ready to go.

The trip home was only 20 miles, but all went well. I will put more miles on it once I get over the Flu.

30 days, 1000 miles, to answer the warrantee ?s.

My only grind is the time and how little communication was offered re: parts delays.

I got what I wanted so far: My VIN (original cases) new guts from someone I knew and still do trust, communication skills not considered. We did not call or pester daily, but they also did not give us any pie in the sky optimism. They said they would call when it was ready and they did.

Last edited by FLGEEZ; 11-29-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: crappy spelllllling
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

Pics of FOD in Cam race and lobe wear.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...m-failure.html

Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 PM
davhas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ
Dave,

My hopes are like yours. That things are going well. Well, things have not seemed to be going much this week.

31 OCT 08, one week later, no word. This might become one of those , "I told you so" opportunities. EOD, I call the Service department and ask what's up.

58,000. 3rd owner, at 32,500 (May 04) after second owner put 1500 miles in two years. Original owner was a Tech at HD Manasas. No records were available re: service from their dealership and the manual was misplaced by the second owner.... since 32.5K, HD of Washington and I have sheduled service the ride well enough. Went to SYN3 at 34K.

Near 40K (SEP 05) Quad seal leaked and had all transmission seals replaced, rear base gasket, plus new starter.

At 51K (OCT 07) Clutch spring plate rivets failed and jammed the clutch package.

I replaced the clutch plates, honed the basket and shell and replaced the primary chain shoe.

The noise (whirr) lasted just a moment at start up. The quarters in the dryer sounds did not become appearant till I turned off my radio, because something was not right. Less than 20 miles probably till I shut it down at an HD dealership in Plainfield, IN and towed it back to VA.

I had a squeal sound that no one could identify in 06 on the way thru TN on a make up loop after we missed Billings. (Trike got rear ended. 11 Weeks for new body on hers) Have no idea what it was, whether it was related to the cam, but I asked along the way.

In summary, not finished, partially done, hopefully soon.
FLGEEZ, HD of washington they are nice people and everything, but I got a bit tired of the promises to fix my bike and it getting put off so they could work on other bikes. Hope you get it back soon.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
davhas
Intermediate

cool you got it back man. didnt read to the end d'oh.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Glad to hear you got it back all done, once you get through the break in lets hope you have many happy miles.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Default Once again, HDeja Vu

Long time since the last post. Went into relocation mode. Rode a bit on the rebuild. Did a few PGR missions, made plans for the ride to Branson for the trike rally in AUG 09.

Started on the VA house and spent 8 weeks after I took the CFO to Indiana in May. Got the house close enough, put it on the market, too an offer out of the first 5 the next day. Happy times. Hauled my EVO and the Sporty to Indiana....

The Evo Started Sounding not good, ... Broke in Oklahoma, on a day ride out of Branson to Tahlequah, OK. Total mileage from rebuild to OFF was less than 1900 miles. rented a car to drive from Branson, MO to Indianapolis, to get the trailer. Back the next day, back to Indy the next day, dropped it off at INDY West in Plainfield to have it checked and had to return to Alexandria, VA the next to sit with my sister and help our Dad through Hospice.

Have to go back for the Internment at Arlington in late Oct.

The EVO now has a REMAN from the factory. Put back together at INDY West. They said the crank had 1/4" of end play when they took it apart. What they said....

To all who had bad thoughts about the Dealer rebuild---- less than 2k miles and another $4500 to the MOCO and it's stock holders.

We will see what the Reman does. May be my Ticket to Hondas again. Don't want to P on the parade, but my money does not seem to be quality enough for a keeper.

Later. Good Luck and Ride long.

Last edited by FLGEEZ; 11-25-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, just read through this thread. That sucks, plain and simple and I would be PISSED off. This is also why I do all work myself, even if it takes me 4ever.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problems. It's an old design but the design isn't the problem. Lack of attention to detail is the problem. Unfortunately greed is the problem. Find a good indy and stick with them. The MOCO and their outlets are just in it to make money. I know everyone has to make a living but the passion for riding isn't there anymore at most dealers. Selling the logo is what matters.

Last edited by Fatboy931; 10-07-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Got the 127 back in the bike and put on the 51mm SE carb, Wow what a difference I will have to put it on the dyno to really see what it does put out. Got about 4600 on it now but back to work in Saudi so it will have to wait for a while for any more.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Here she is with the 127

Attached Thumbnails Motor maybe gone-dsc_4048sm.jpg