EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Potential Evo swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,182 Likes on 21,577 Posts

If you really like your's and can afford it to do so, then buy a touring bike for you and your wife and keep your dyna when you ride alone..
Many on this site have 2 bikes..
I used to, but sold or I should say basically gave mine away last month,
but that's another story. Really didn't need to, but softail would not have got ridden too much, as the new glide rides that much better.

If you're serious about getting into a touring bike though, I would suggest you ride an 09 or later, due to the new frame style. They ride nicer than do any previous models, and I would bet that you find that they ride nicer than does your dyna..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Well, I'm not sure many bikes ride or handle WORSE than my Dyna. Its got an aftermarket Springer and a 21 inch wheel after all! Seriously though, a second bike really is in the works here, but not for me, for the wife. I'm perfectly happy with my Dyna. Her thoughts are to just get herself completely off my bike and get her own motorcycle. So actually she's shopping for one right now. But, honestly I'm a little worried. I have dirt bikes in the garage. Before she even takes the rider safety class, I want her to at least have the basics. I take her out and try my best to teach her to ride but she just isn't coming along like I hoped (she's pretty much a klutz). I'm a tad scared she'll kill herself on her own bike. And I have a problem with being the "reason" she gets hurt. But, this may all be for naught, since its already noon and I haven't heard a peep from the guy with the Ultra. And as much as I enjoy chatting on our forum, I'd rather be out riding around than waiting at home on what looks like the best Sunday afternoon we've had all year!

Last edited by bikerlaw; 09-19-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 858 Posts

I like the idea of 2 bikes if you are attached to the lowrider but the little problem of money comes to the table but the big Evo's are affordable now. Personally, my wife would get pissed if another Harley was mentioned but would enjoy having a lighter bike to run hard with the boys and have the white sled for the overnite trips with the wife.
Gotta go! wife is coming and can't let her read that I would like 2 bikes

Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly out of "sync" with the thread,but....I have only ever ridden 3 Harleys. (1) A 97 Roadster (short ride) didnt like it. (2) A New 2006 R.K Rented in ORLANDO,Fl. in 2006,for 2 days.I didnt like it too much and said I would never buy a Harley(any model)! (3) My 91 Ultra which I bought on eBay UK 18 months ago without test ride or visual before bidding & buying. Am I going mad....Do these Harleys FIND YOU rather than the opposite.?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, they do seem to find you and then find a place in your heart. Looks like mine found me for good. The guy never called or e-mailed, so it looks like I'm just going to install a wide pad for the backrest and get myself a large pack for the sissy bar rack, or maybe a tour pack. All will still be good in the Evo world.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Neil,

I thought you had an old Shovelhead as a second bike already ... or you replaced it with the Low Rider ...?

Tough call ... the basic bikes are not significantly different (same motor, more or less the same wheelbase) ... big difference seems to be the fairing is hard mounted with all the gauges and looks like @ss without the bags .... The big wheel up front does seem to soak up more road feel than the pizza cutter ....

Of course you know the definition of FMV what a willing buyer and seller agree on .... If you were each to agree your bikes were worth what the other had to trade ... I guess it would be a deal ....

Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yeah, they do seem to find you and then find a place in your heart. Looks like mine found me for good. The guy never called or e-mailed, so it looks like I'm just going to install a wide pad for the backrest and get myself a large pack for the sissy bar rack, or maybe a tour pack. All will still be good in the Evo world.
See Neil? As my Mom would always say - everything worked out for the best. Plus, your gorgeous Springer is FAR too nice to trade away or sell anyway!

Now, forget about that Ultra, and go out and have yourself a nice ride!

____ ________ ________________ ________________________________

Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a little "spearence" on this. Take it for what it is worth. I am on my 6th bike since 2005-- 4 Harleys (Fatboy/Sportster/RK Custom/and curently a Heritage) and 2 Hondas (Valkyrie and VTX 1800) I just love a different bike ever so ofter and ALL OF THEM had their good and bad points.

Now with the EVO I must admit I love owning a bike in great shape that is 20 years old and rare. Your bike is beautiful and rare if you are happy with it, well...............What more could you ask for? I understand your delima-- buy another seat for the moments you are 2 up. BTW--- the wife was REALLY TICKED OFF when I sold the Valkyrie. Can you imagine why?????

Attached Thumbnails Potential Evo swap.-img_2894.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently saw a late 90's Road King on Craigslist for around 7K with low miles. Looked to be in great condition! I wish I had the cash laying around!
I would suggest that you put away your cash. EVOs are going CHEAP right now! I have my wide glide and the electra; If I had to choose I would have to keep the bagger-thats just me though.
This morning I went to a swap meet with my neighbor. We happened to stop for breakfast,and,low and behold we ran onto my neighbors flatty that he sold ten years ago! We had to stop and look at it for over ten minutes-the whole time he is talking about the work he did to it and how much he misses that bike! On the way home as he was going on and on about it,I asked why he sold it. He said they offered him two grand over what it was worth. He said he never should have sold it,and wishes he could buy it back. Moral of the story; If you have put that much blood,sweat and tears into your ride,and love it,don't get rid of it-you will regret it!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle
Moral of the story; If you have put that much blood,sweat and tears into your ride,and love it,don't get rid of it-you will regret it!
Especially that last line!

Quick Reply: Potential Evo swap.