EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Starter Chatter/Grind

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about tired of this. In debt for 4 years on a bike that will not crank. New starter, solenoid, battery, ring gear, starter clutch. All wires ok, connect. ok all volts within specs all amps in specs but will not roll over just chatter/grind. Rolls with plugs out ok and with 1 plug in will start but then gotta put #2 plug in with running (not easy) and then it will start after hot ok with 2 plugs in. WTF??????? Am I gonna have to go with a Kick Start and scrap out the starter? Had 2 mechanics over today and they left scratchin their heads. So far this has cost me 400 dollars and am still gonna drive a chevy all spring. F*ck an EVO shoulda stuck by my Sporty, hondas, suzukis and yamahas ride by here every day tired of hearing them.

Last edited by Bama91; 02-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Bama91
Tourer

We checked compression 145 psi front and 142 psi rear below factory 150-160psi per cyl. Has a stock cam and fire rate does not cause kick back fires after TDC is reached. Starter(?) Grinds and horn mounted below it jumps and occasionally Starter kicks to one side. All test point at all is ok with starting system. Am getting ready to sell this POS cheap or take an axe to it, the axe sounds fun.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,637 Posts

First, stop whining and talking about trashing your bike, you sound like a juvenile, and nobody wants to hear it...

Relax, take a deep breath, you will figure it out.

You said it started ok when you jump started it from the truck.

That would make me think you have a weak battery, all the other symptoms also point to a weak battery or a bad connection.

I know you think you checked everything, and it was all ok, but if everything in the circuit was ok, the bike would start without problem, right?

So make sure you check everything, cables, wires, solenoid...

A note of caution:

If you have the outer primary cover off, do not mess with the starter gear mechanism unless you disconnect the battery. If you leave the battery connected and manually move the starter solenoid to engage the gear, the starter will be energized.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Yeah, quityerbitchin. Battery, cables, dirty/loose connections on the cables, starter relay, ignition switch. With a new battery or a fully charged and tested good existing battery, if it still buzzes at the solenoid, jumper from the battery lead to the solenoid pull in terminal and see if it starts.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Bama91
Tourer

First off I have the right to whine and I am 40 years old so my juvenile days are far gone. All parts are brand new, connections were disconnected and reconnected not once but 3 times for my benefit and the benefit of 2 licensed Harley Mechanics. 3 different meters were hooked up, tried with a truck jump off, no jump and a booster box. Bike rolls fine with no plugs, 1 plug rolls fine and fires. 2 plugs chatters/grinds no fire/compression/no roll. Pull rear plug and roll till fire and put in rear plug while running and hook up wire to plug and it will run/idle. After it gets hot (5-10 min) cut off and it will crank ok. Come back 30 min later and start over at step 1. Now would you whine after spending 7,500 dollars to do this? I believe I have the right to after what I have spent and went thru for the past 30 days. I do have a temper and will wreck something but it is mine to wreck and mine to pay for, it may be wrong but when I am pissed I am PISSED and no one out there has the right or privilege to judge me.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Bama91
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yeah, quityerbitchin. Battery, cables, dirty/loose connections on the cables, starter relay, ignition switch. With a new battery or a fully charged and tested good existing battery, if it still buzzes at the solenoid, jumper from the battery lead to the solenoid pull in terminal and see if it starts.
Did that grind/chatter same with a new battery. New Solenoid and New Starter. Even on Jump from a 350cid chevy, and a 600 cca booster pack.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Bama91
Tourer

NEW: Battery, Solenoid, Starter, Starter Clutch, Ring Gear.
CLEANED: All connections from Battery to Starter
CHECKED: AMPS across solenoid, batt to Sol., Sol to Start., Batt to Start with button in. VOLTS Batt.- off, Batt-on, Batt-crank. Starter-crank. With 3 different meters
CHECKED: Compression approx145psi a little under specs but engine was 54 dgrees.
New Plugs: Champion rn12yc gapped 30, 35, 40, 45, 8 pairs
New Gas 93 octane, tank cleaned no blockage in lines.
Primary full Ford ATF
Oil Tank full Castrol GTX 20-50

Now What?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Then try the jump across like I said on the solenoid. I bet it starts right up. I bet you have a variation on The Dreaded Click. If you want to fix this and not just biatch like a little girl, I'll help you. Do you have a volt meter?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Bama91
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike T
Feel Like It Mike lol. Been up 46 hours between work and this sh...crap

Quick Reply: Starter Chatter/Grind