EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The Oil Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts
Default The Oil Fix

I've posted this in a few other forums, but if ya got an EVO and the base gaskets leak, get one of these: The Oil Fix. It's what The MoCo should have engineered into the EVO.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The Oil Fix

ORIGINAL: Hackd

I've posted this in a few other forums, but if ya got an EVO and the base gaskets leak, get one of these: The Oil Fix. It's what The MoCo should have engineered into the EVO.
Cool,,,,,thanks bro

Old 10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

After 12 years of a nagging rear base gasket leak.....This has 'Fixed' it. EVO's aren't supposed to leak...No matter what anyone says.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks for the link. I've been fortunate that mine has never leaked. Got 64K miles with no problems (knock on wood). Always been careful to let it warm up completely before twistin' the throttle.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, I would let it warm up and take it easy for the first few miles. Sometimes it would leak, sometimes it wouldn't. It'd leak in the summer, but not in the fall. Then leak again the next spring.

I don't think she's gonna leak again.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 167 Posts

Didn't the later model Evos. have a "o-ring" for a base gasket? Anybody know about this, if it was ever modified, and what year?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

There is an o-ring on the part of the cylinder that extends into the case. The problem with leaks around the bases is because the oil return from the heads, is simply a passageway in the cylinder that lines up with a hole in the case. Oil pools in the area where the two mate and for various reasons, it ends up seeping out. Had The MoCo installed a pressed in hollow dowel in the cylinders originally, they wouldn't of had all the problems they had with this design.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

To Cosmo Glider:

Old Blue has 105k and still has the original base and rocker-cover gaskets. I also perform slow warm-ups and feel this is the key to keeping the gaskets leak-free. I also suspect that machining done at the factory is important, and some engines have tighter tolerances than others.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM
4x4Given
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be a little bit of a repost, but does anyone know if a new, factory EVO crate motor would have "the Oil fix" done to it? I ask because my bike had the engine replaced about 400 mile before I bought the bike.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 4x4Given...does anyone know if a new, factory EVO crate motor would have "the Oil fix" done to it?...
No. 'The' Oil Fix is an aftermarket part, when The MoCo remanufactures your motor they return it to 100% stock condition. You do get the newer base gaskets. But you are also getting the INA cam bearing, and a crappy cam design on 92 and later models. Having read the 'program' it sound like if you have a dealer send your motor in, any and all upgrades that you have installed will be removed and replaced with stock. Puts you right back on square one again. Unless you like 'stock'.

Quick Reply: The Oil Fix