EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition switch jumper wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I finally got it done. Here's what I found out:

the bank of circuit breakers(4 of them) are on a plate inside the gauge cluster under the top of the speedo/tach. To get in there, I had to remove the trip meter post using a small, long phillips screwdriver, then removing the two hex screws at the back of the cluster(bottom of the gauges). I lifted up the back edge and slid it rearward which unhooked the front edge, then I unscrewed the speedo cable which allowed me to flip the upper cluster up towards the back of the bike.

The jumper was a small gauge wire, dark green insulation, connecting the forward posts of the middle two circuit breakers. A quick snip and voila, the ignition position on the switch is just that, dash lights and ignition, no headlights, marker lights or tail lights. Initial testing shows that this does indeed make a difference in how the starter engages, it definately has more power and turns over much better.

While I was in there I replaced the bulb at the bottom of the speedo that was out, now I can see the trip meter at night. It must have taken me over an hour to get it all back together, though, because I had a hard time getting the speedo cable reconnected. Based on that, it will probably be a long time before I bother to take that apart again! Maybe eventually I will replace the dash lights with red bulbs for better night vision...