Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Khromewerks 2-1 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 06:38 AM
bherder
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
Can you ?
Put a jack under it, loosen the bottom shock bolts, remove the top shock bolts , tilt the shocks forward or back and then lower the bike to gain clearance ?
That would temporarily create clearance but then would result in the interference soon as I restored the ride height. If it’s too tight for even a cotton t-shirt in between it’s just asking for trouble on the road.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:09 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bherder
I’m running standard height 13” pro-action shocks.

just for accuracy khromewerks does NOT say to have the full system together and then tighten from front to rear. I can upload the instructions if necessary. Their instructions explicitly state to install headers with front and rear exhaust flange nuts loose then p bracket at tranny cover loose then torque flange nuts and then p bracket. THEN install muffler with clamp.

however even then the root issue isn’t addressed. Assuming I did it the way you suggest I do not believe that changes the root issue of interference.

I’ve called them and left a msg on Saturday but will call them today. We will see. I’m suspicious as I forgot to mention they supplied two different p brackets with different designs- though it’s not mentioned anywhere in parts list, instructions, etc. yes I tried both. Between this, the fact that I was shorted the collector heat shield, the clear interference, my concern is high.
Mine only came with one P bracket.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:13 AM
bherder
Novice

OK, talked to Darin (?) at KW. Very nice guy. Here is what I've learned so far.

First, the P-Brackets. Apparently, they started shipping these pipes with two different P-Brackets. One for 5 speed tranny bikes, and one for 6 spd. They are not marked, not listed on the instructions, and not mentioned anywhere. He acknowledged that this is not the first time problems have popped up, and said they need to fix the documentation problem. However, he also said that I had initially tried the correct bracket, and that the other bracket would not work. I tried both - the initial bracket lined up, but the other did not.

I even measured my shocks center to center - they are exactly 13" - so completely stock. He said that they had moved manufacturing, and it's possible that the pipes had been not correctly jigged. While they have seen these issues before, apparently they are more common with 14" shocks, or with M8 bikes. Mine is neither.

He confirmed that what I had done was exactly right, and that I should not install the muffler prior to completing the header installation. He said that like klammer76 said, some install a spacer at the rear muffler mount at the end to improve clearance, but acknowledged that you need to be able to get the muffler on to begin with first.

He's calling back later today, and is going to ship me another header along with the missing collector heat shield. Hopefully I'll get it this week and REALLY HOPEFULLY it will mount up a lot better. They were very nice to deal with. That said, they have cost me a minimum of a week best case, which I'm not happy about.

Can anyone say whether on an '08-16 touring frame other 2-1 pipes have "less critical" fitment? My experience with the Fatcat and Road Rage for example have been on Softail frames. Anything else (other than V&H)? In the event that this continues to struggle? Time is very important to me.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:58 PM
klammer76
Road Master

They did change manufacturer for the pipes. My first 2-1 header was atrocious, not the normal KW quality of welds and finish. They sent me a replacement straight away and it was much better. Fitment was great. I had a Dominator prior to the Outlaw. That header was a beautiful piece of work and craftsmanship. The Dominator was prior to switching manufacturers. Still a very good company and great customer service.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 PM
bherder
Novice

So, here is where it ended up. I have to be honest - while the pipe is on the bike, I cannot say I'm super happy with the quality. First - the '14 Ultra is bone stock except for Pro-Action shocks, which I measured center to center to validate they were exactly 13". Stock. In order to mount the headers, the entire saddleback frame had to be removed. The shocks disconnected and the swingarm moved up. That allowed the header to be installed, but it's so much under tension that I may have an exhaust leak at one of the flanges. Still working that out. THEN, the muffler. Holy christ. I filed and sanded the end of the header, which was not well finished, but had a "ridge" where the tubing had been cut. I also used a pipe expander on the muffler, I tried to sand smooth the inside bore of the muffler - AND I used assembly lube. All of that allowed me to get the muffler about 2/3 of the way installed. Nothing short of a block of wood and a mechanics hammer made it go further. Not trying to twist. Not anything else. Then, after a BUNCH of smacking, it finally went on, and then was easy to spin. Clearly inside the muffler body there was an imperfection. So, it's on. But, I would not purchase it again. KW support was good - they did send a second set of headers, and at the missing heat shield. But the second set of headers was not much better, it had some chrome flaked off. I used it - because I needed to get the damn bike off the lift table. If there is a next time, I'll stick with D&D or Bassani.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:02 PM
klammer76
Road Master

Originally Posted by bherder
So, here is where it ended up. I have to be honest - while the pipe is on the bike, I cannot say I'm super happy with the quality. First - the '14 Ultra is bone stock except for Pro-Action shocks, which I measured center to center to validate they were exactly 13". Stock. In order to mount the headers, the entire saddleback frame had to be removed. The shocks disconnected and the swingarm moved up. That allowed the header to be installed, but it's so much under tension that I may have an exhaust leak at one of the flanges. Still working that out. THEN, the muffler. Holy christ. I filed and sanded the end of the header, which was not well finished, but had a "ridge" where the tubing had been cut. I also used a pipe expander on the muffler, I tried to sand smooth the inside bore of the muffler - AND I used assembly lube. All of that allowed me to get the muffler about 2/3 of the way installed. Nothing short of a block of wood and a mechanics hammer made it go further. Not trying to twist. Not anything else. Then, after a BUNCH of smacking, it finally went on, and then was easy to spin. Clearly inside the muffler body there was an imperfection. So, it's on. But, I would not purchase it again. KW support was good - they did send a second set of headers, and at the missing heat shield. But the second set of headers was not much better, it had some chrome flaked off. I used it - because I needed to get the damn bike off the lift table. If there is a next time, I'll stick with D&D or Bassani.
You certainly seemed to have a lot of issues installing. Mine went on without a hitch. I do run 13" shocks though. I agree with the quality of the header finish. I complained and my second header was way better than the original one. I believe my second header was built prior to the change in manufacturers. The muffler slid right on. KW has always had great fit and finish, I hope they get this issue corrected with their current manufacturer. Their customer service is great. D&D has their fair share of issues also, mainly rusting. I've never dealt with them but have heard of some customer service stories. Bassani is top notch as is Fuel Moto with their exhausts. Hope the KW works for you from here on.