Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How much would it cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
kart11
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it cost ?

To get a set of stock heads ported by someone like HQ or others for a 103 build ?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: How much would it cost ?

Call Doug at HQ; it will probably be between $900-$1,000. But they will include bettervalve guides,seals and locks; larger valves; bettervalve springs, etc. and etc. A street port head jobfrom Bigboyz, etc.will be about $300.

When you call, you shouldalso be able to tell him what cams and pistons, etc. you plan to use--compatability is important to avoid valves hitting pistons, etc.

If you already have pistons/cylinders, etc., it may be more cost- and performance effective to sell what you already have and buy a package from HQ to assure everything works well together.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
kart11
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Call Doug at HQ; it will probably be between $900-$1,000. But they will include bettervalve guides,seals and locks; larger valves; bettervalve springs, etc. and etc. A street port head jobfrom Bigboyz, etc.will be about $300.

When you call, you shouldalso be able to tell him what cams and pistons, etc. you plan to use--compatability is important to avoid valves hitting pistons, etc.

If you already have pistons/cylinders, etc., it may be more cost- and performance effective to sell what you already have and buy a package from HQ to assure everything works well together.
Thank you, thants what I like about these forums.

I was concidering buying some take-off heads and cylinders from ebay and having them sent out..... maybe I should call someone like HQ first ?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can go to the HQ USA website and look at the various packages and their components to give you a good idea of cost and performance:

http://head-quarters-usa.com/

Also, you can use your own heads and cylindersand wait about 2-3 weeks to get them back, or pay a core charge and have them send you heads and cylinders to put on your bike to avoid any downtime, then return your heads and cylinders for a credit for the core charge--no need to buy someone else's heads/cylinders for machining.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug @ hqdoes great work,his heads come in may stages,for instancewe offer 6 stages of head work , SO price wise they can range from 275 for a basic street port to 1250 on a fully CNC head with weld ports. The welding is done in both intake and exhaust ports, if the head is a CVO style head the combustion chamber is welded as well. If you are going to build a engine the best thing I feel to do is have a package put together. That way you know everything is set up to work together. Many times we will get customers that want head porting done , but are using a off the wall cam & poor exhuast system, and think that the porting will fix everything. Everthing must work well together in a package.

Doug is a great guy to talk with and I am surehas a head that will work for what you are looking to do,.. I chat with him once a month or so. We use many of his cams and have found they make very good power, provided you use them with correct parts. I think the hardest part in a package for many is getting one set up for what they want, as a end result. We do many new packages where they alreasy had some miss matched parts and the out come was much less than the customer had thought the kit would produce. Or the power was made but in the rpm range where the customer rarely rides. Take you time talk to a few places to get a feel for them and if they can offer you a kit that fits your budget and can offer you the power you are looking for the riding range you want the extra power at. Good luck with the new build.