Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

True duals vs. stock headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Live2ryd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals vs. stock headers

Does anyone know how much of a performance hit will be seen if a replace V&H true duals with the original stock crossover headers to try to reduce noise? Or maybe the better question is, will replacing the duals and V&H ovals withstock header pipes and V&H ovals reduce the sound. I cannot seem to fidn the right mix in pipes. I have had Hookers, Rineharts and now V&H ovals and it's still to loud.Not to mention themotorhas been punched out to a 95 with major head, piston, and cam work. I was told that HD's like the back pressureat high altitude and going back to stock headers may not only reduce noise but get more tourqe.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,029 Likes on 1,743 Posts
Default RE: True duals vs. stock headers

ORIGINAL: Live2ryd

Does anyone know how much of a performance hit will be seen if a replace V&H true duals with the original stock crossover headers to try to reduce noise? No hit, you'll gain

....and going back to stock headers may not only reduce noise but get more tourqe. correct

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Live2ryd
1st Gear

Thanks Dawg, good info. Lots of stuff on the forum about this same discussion. In your opinion do you think going back to the stock header will decrease the noise level? Thats what Im really looking for as right now its too loud. I probably over built the motor and have tried different pipes each year, this year it was the VH ovals that I really like but again too loud. Looking for a way to enjoy cruising with plenty of power between my legs but also avoiding headaches.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

I think that true duals do make the bike a little louder.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H true duals and ovals on my '06 SE Ultra with the 103".&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've had about 7 or 8 different sets of slip-ons on and like the ovals the best but wouldn't mind if they were a little quieter.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; So I have a set of the new V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H Monster Ovals on order.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hope to see them in a week or so.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H ended up delaying the release of the Monsters but a few sets are starting to make their way out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They are suppose to be the quietest mufflers V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H makes and yet provide performance.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Someone on the CVOHarley.com forum put a set on and said they were very deep.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Maybe something you might want to consider.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They are not cheap tho.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Retail is $759.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I ordered mine&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;from M&amp\\;\\\\\\;M Cycles for $585.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Here's the link to the Monsters:

http://vanceandhines.com/monsterovals08.html
&nbsp\\;
I have no idea why all those slashes showed up in this post.&nbsp\\; I tried to edit them out and they came back.&nbsp\\; ?????

Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

Tried another post.&nbsp\\; Same thing.