Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Indy drilled hole in baffle?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
07SG61
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indy drilled hole in baffle?!?!?!

Took my bike in last Jan. to have the PCIII adjusted on a dyno at a local indy. Everything came out fine, and the bike ran great. Last week I had the V&amp\\;H slipon's off and just happened to look into one of them, and there was a 1/2 in. hole in the baffle of just one of them. I had just bought those baffles and installed them myself before taking the bike in, so it had to be the shop that drilled it. Why just one? (front cylinder) Is this a tuning trick? I got the quiet baffles in the first place because of the toned down sound, won't putting a hole in the baffle make that one slighty louder? Anybody else heard of this?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Indy drilled hole in baffle?!?!?!

Well, I haven't heard of it, but it may be a method of some sort, but if they were gonna drill a hole in somethng they should have told you first IMO.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Ultra Rider 03
Intermediate

Well your quistion "wouldn't it be louder". You just said everything came out well and the bike ran good and you didn't notice anything? So what is it you really want to know? Should they have told you of this? Probaly.&nbsp\\;It would not be a surprise that the requierment for the exhaust to be different front to back just as the fuel and timing requierments are&nbsp\\;different front to back, but how did they figure out that need would be my quistion.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:50 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

There is a benifit to running offset baffle diameters on the left side vs the right side with the smaller of the two on the left on stock headpipes. Jamie at Fuelmoto sell Rush pipes with this configuration, and I understand the package works good. Acts much like a 2-1 for scavenging. Maybe your indy was trying to accomplish something similar?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07SG61

Took my bike in last Jan. to have the PCIII adjusted on a dyno at a local indy. Everything came out fine, and the bike ran great. Last week I had the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H slipon's off and just happened to look into one of them, and there was a 1/2 in. hole in the baffle of just one of them. I had just bought those baffles and installed them myself before taking the bike in, so it had to be the shop that drilled it. Why just one? (front cylinder) Is this a tuning trick? I got the quiet baffles in the first place because of the toned down sound, won't putting a hole in the baffle make that one slighty louder? Anybody else heard of this?
&nbsp\\;
The Dyno Jet AFR sniffer probe has to be installed up the pipe to get an accurate AFR reading, this is the reason for the hole. However a 5/16' hole is all that is needed, not a 1/2'.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Without drilling a hole the tune up can't be done.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Took my bike in last Jan. to have the PCIII adjusted on a dyno at a local indy. Everything came out fine, and the bike ran great. Last week I had the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;H slipon's off and just happened to look into one of them, and there was a 1/2 in. hole in the baffle of just one of them. I had just bought those baffles and installed them myself before taking the bike in, so it had to be the shop that drilled it. Why just one? (front cylinder) Is this a tuning trick? I got the quiet baffles in the first place because of the toned down sound, won't putting a hole in the baffle make that one slighty louder? Anybody else heard of this?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The Dyno Jet AFR sniffer probe has to be installed up the pipe to get an accurate AFR reading, this is the reason for the hole. However a 5/16' hole is all that is needed, not a 1/2'.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Without drilling a hole the tune up can't be done.
Doc, does it suprise you a bit that with independent pipes on a superglide that there were not holes drilled in both mufflers, how do you suppose they did both cylinders seperately or do you think they just did the map in basic?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
07SG61
Intermediate

The Dyno Jet AFR sniffer probe has to be installed up the pipe to get an accurate AFR reading, this is the reason for the hole. However a 5/16' hole is all that is needed, not a 1/2'.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Without drilling a hole the tune up can't be done.

OK, that makes sense. I just estimated the size hole...5/16 may be right. Thanks. Learn something new everyday.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Took my bike in last Jan. to have the PCIII adjusted on a dyno at a local indy. Everything came out fine, and the bike ran great. Last week I had the V&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;H slipon's off and just happened to look into one of them, and there was a 1/2 in. hole in the baffle of just one of them. I had just bought those baffles and installed them myself before taking the bike in, so it had to be the shop that drilled it. Why just one? (front cylinder) Is this a tuning trick? I got the quiet baffles in the first place because of the toned down sound, won't putting a hole in the baffle make that one slighty louder? Anybody else heard of this?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
The Dyno Jet AFR sniffer probe has to be installed up the pipe to get an accurate AFR reading, this is the reason for the hole. However a 5/16' hole is all that is needed, not a 1/2'.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Without drilling a hole the tune up can't be done.
Doc, does it suprise you a bit that with independent pipes on a superglide that there were not holes drilled in both mufflers, how do you suppose they did both cylinders seperately or do you think they just did the map in basic?
&nbsp\\;
Sorry Bob I tried several times to post your answer but this site won't take a post but it will take this crap....I'm going to quit posting here untill they get this fixed