Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

cam advance, richen 2008 flhr

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cam advance, richen 2008 flhr

I would like to advance the stock cam in my 2008 road king. I also want to richen it up to proper afr for best power and mileage. Anyone have info on where to get a cam sprocket to advance the cam 4 degrees, and some type of tuning unit to richen the mixture? I am new to harleys ,but love the bike. It just needs a little TLC to make it right!!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM
new_mentor70
Tourer

Go to Woodcarbs.com to find the advance sprockets.

you may just want to recam it while your at it.

between that and a fuel tuner it will run alot cooler.

the Power commander III is the most popular. but I think the ThunderMax auto tunning products are more rewarding in the long run.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been building automotive race engines since I could reach the top of my dad's toolbox, and bike engines for years. I still never quite understand why people want to advance a cam that is set up to perform in a certain way.
If you are going to open up the cam chest, do a little research and find a cam that will perform in the way you want. HQ 500, Wood 6, Andrewws 26 are all nice drop ins that will give you nice gains, not hurt mileage and are good choices for stock compression, and will handle future mods up to about a 10.0:1 build. All will out perform the stock cam with a 4 degree advance.

As far as tuning, for a mild build, lots use the PC III and it does an adequate job, but for true tuning capabilities check out the SERT, DTT TCFI III or Thundermax, depending on what you will to accomplish and your skill level with a laptop.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Default advance

My purpose is to maximize the motor cheaply. If a $55 gear will produce a large torque increase from 1700 to 4000, i would be a happy camper. Knowing that from what others have stated that the cranking compression is low at 150 lbs this motor should respond well to this move without the expense of a $ $270 cam. But i have never done it, so i have no proof to date. As for throwing money at engines to max out a combo, that gets old real quick. Been there done that. I have been building my own drag engines for three decades. Sometimes it is just plain fun to do things others haven't looked into too closely. You never know what you will find till ya try.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

A 4* gear is not going to produce a LARGE torque increase in any way. A little yes, large, not a chance. The stock cam is a lame peace-O-junk. I would like to know how you make out. It is an interesting experiment.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Default reasoning

A big part of getting at the truth of what works and what doesn't is sifting through the experiances of others, and thier results. I ask a lot of questions, take in a lot of info, then take a shot. I have two responses that say the stock cams aren't that good. One other source said they were a good compromise, did thier job well. The truth (for me and my goals) lies somewhere in there. The stock cams might do well for what i want, but may not produce the power curve someone else wants.
Years ago i started to take in info on building a drag motor with a certain type of aftermarket head. After picking the brains of MANY people and then making my choices, the motor produced over 900 hp. That motor combo was thought to not be able to make over 840 based on head flow from some of the best head porters and engine builders in the business. But by doggedly pursueing info from successful people, the end result was a winner. I give the lions share of credit to the combined knowledge i gleaned from those folks.
So don't feel slighted if i don't instantly take your input as what is right for me. It may very well be valid info for others, and hopefully we all move forward.
Thanks for the replys guys, will be looking forward to more responses, then i will definately post results.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Default update

After talking to Gary (tech guy) at Andrews cams, some things came to lite. First, somewhere i was missled on the stock cam numbers, not knowing it was much shorter duration than the stock Dyna cams. That puts things into better perspective. Also found out the gearing on the 08 is too high in low gear for many peoples tastes. More good info. So, looks like my best bet for improvements is a new front sprocket and belt, a retune, mufflers and a better aircleaner. I am also considering the 21n cam, which increases duration but will really help the midrange. One thing is for sure, this isn't going to be as cheap as i had hoped!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

You are going to gain 3-4 psi cylinder pressure by advancing the gear 4*. You will gain a couple more ft lb Tq. But for dollars spent, $55=2 lb tq. thats not bad. Now just think if we spent $1000 that would be like 36 lb tq. Money well spent. Unfortunately, Other than slipons, AC, and tuner, you have reached your limit on bolt on items.