Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine pinging.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Serg06
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine pinging.

Ok, I have a 124" S&S super stock motor in my 06 SG. The issue I am noticing is when the engine gets hot it beggins to ping when I get on the throttle. One's I get it up to about 3K rpm it all goes away. I don't know what pistons are in because I bought it complete and in the bike. The bike was purchased from florida were high octane fuel is available. I run 91 octane but as I said as soon as it gets hot or real hot it starts to ping. Any idea's what I may do to fix this? I am likely leaving you guy's with more questions than answers. But ask away if you would and I will answer to the best of my knowledge of the bike.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's caused by the timing being a bit off. There's a max torque and knock limit advance. They form two seperate curves that cross. You use the lesser advance of the two. Ideally you want max torque, but it isn't max torque if you're pinging so you stop at the knock limit. Likely you're a bit off on the timing when those two curves cross and the tuner switched from which of those two curves he was following. He doesn't have a lot of points to estimate those curves precisely so he's sort of playing guessing game.

If it had of pinged for him he would have fixed it. Instead it happens with a slightly differant fuel with the bike hotter than he was tuning. You don't need a whole new dyno tune, but, rather, the timing backed off a little in the range you're pinging in to stop the pinging. So find a good tuner and explain under what conditions it's happening.

If you don't ride often then it might just be the fuel setting. It's generally best to fill up as you set out rather than on the way home. Even gas a week or two old can cause pinging you wouldn't otherwise get. Personally, I wouldn't worry about pinging from stale gas and rather only worry about pinging from fresh gas.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Serg06
Cruiser

Ok I know it's not from bad gas because I re-fuel druring a long ride and the same thing occurs. Not knowing if your in California, wouls you or anyone recomend a person that would know how to take care of this issue. I would like to fix this problem before it creates even more plroblems for me. Thanks for the reply (LilBudyWizer)

Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with LilBud on this one. Timing...

Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Is that motor carbed or efi? Apparently if you have their efi system all you have to do is download their software and plug the ecm into the pc using a usb cable. Wish a stock Harley was like that The list a knock sensor kit for like $70. With that the ecm will learn timing adjustments to prevent knocking. You can view the learned adjustments so you can make permenant changes to the timing tables. You couldn't hardly get any simplier than that.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Serg06
Cruiser

Ok it is EFI and I'm running a PCIII.

This knock sensor kit you are talking about, is sold at Harley Davidson? And your saying just plug it in and it will learn and resolve timming issue's. Great! Were can I get one.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

No, it's sold by S&S and they run their own ecms. That's who made the motor. As near as I can tell there's no point to running the PCIII. Just download their software, plug the ecm into the pc and off you go. They have maps listed on their site that you can download and load onto the ecm. With the Harley motors and ecm they're going to charge you another $500 to be able to tune your bike. S&S seems mainly interested in selling motors and will, pretty well, give you the rest for free.

PS: before ordering the knock supression kit I suggest you download the software and plug a computers it's install on into the ecm to see whether you already have the knock supression kit.

Last edited by LilBudyWizer; 03-31-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Serg06
Cruiser

So let me get this straight. Remove the PCIII and download the software recomended by S&S per my engine upload to ECM and that should do it?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Do you have it set up as a top breather or at the case? Are you getting blow by at the breathers?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

If you have the PCIII then you have it made. It is a two minute fix. load the software into your laptop (you can get it free online if you don't have it). Click the timing tab and retard your timing a couple degrees in the rpm range you are having problems with. Send it back to the bike and you are done. This is what I did and it went away instantly.
If you want to try this but need help pm me and I'll walk you through it. It is a couple minute job.

Quick Reply: Engine pinging.