Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuel Moto Instal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
1ShotMMCF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Moto Instal Problem

I just installed the FM 107 BB kit w/ TW-777 cams on my 2011 FXDB 96". Everything went smooth until I turned it over by hand after installing the FM push rods.

The push rods are both in the right position (ie intake in intake and exhaust in exhaust. They were adjusted per the "written" instructions. 0 Lash and then 3 turns plus 1 flat. After each push rod was adjusted we waited 15 minutes, rotated the motor over, and moved to the next one.

After the pushrods were adjusted, we turned the motor over by hand, with the rocker box covers off, and we can here a "tick" only on the intake but on both cylinders. If you put your finger on the rocker arm you can feel it slightly.

The instructions provided with the push rods stated 3 turns plus 1 flat. The video instructions on the FM sight says 4 turns plus 2 flats. Any one know the correct adjustment? And could that be the issue? Thanks for the help guys, Im in the process now putting this back together so any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I did call FM but the tech service is only open M-F, and Im tryin to get the motor back together and bike running this evening.

Thank again.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,532 Posts

What lifters? You said you waited 15 minutes after adjusting the pushrods but could you "spin" the pushrods? had the lifters bled down?

The FM pushrods are Smith Brothers and 3 turns plus one flat is the instructions that come with the Smith Brothers pushrods. IIRC, those pushrods are 32TPI so 19 flats would set preload at .0989" and 26 flats would set preload at .133"; either preload shouldn't be an issue.

If you didn't let the liftes bleed down before adjusting the next set of pushrods, you could have an intake that kissed a piston.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
1ShotMMCF
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

The lifters are the FM Directional Lifters, brand new. We did wait to adjust the next push rod until we could move the adjusted pushrod by hand.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ShotMMCF
Thanks for the reply.

The lifters are the FM Directional Lifters, brand new. We did wait to adjust the next push rod until we could move the adjusted pushrod by hand.
I believe the FM Directional are the Woods Directional; I have only done a few of those but have not seen one yet bleed down in 15 minutes. I know, from Woods anyway, the lifters are shipped primed with a light weight oil and bleed down faster than with say 20W50, they still take longer than it would take for OEM lifters to bleed down. However, if you waited until you could spin the pushrods, piston contact shoul not be an issue.

Are you sure the piston was at TDC on the compression stroke, not at overlap?

I don't have a clue what the ticking is but the only things moving are the valve train and pistons. Back off the intake adjustors two turns and see if there is any difference. Ordrop in the OEM pushrods and see what happens. Not sure about the 777 base circle but believe it is .020" smaller than the OEM base circle.

I wouldn't run the engine until I figured out what is causing the ticking.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
1ShotMMCF
Intermediate

Ill give that a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Set mine at 26 flats thats what fm told me to do