Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputtering and dying out

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Dante Castro
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering and dying out

I have a 2007 Dyna street bob. It sounds like its running lean. It sputters and back fires when i let off the gas. Tonight, leaving work, the bike kept dying out and I had to keep on the gas to keep it on. Seemed to run better once it warmed up but still was almost dying out once i got home. I already changed the spark plugs and the line in the gas tank to the engine. Any ideas what could be causing the back fire, sputtering and it dying out?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,034 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante Castro
I have a 2007 Dyna street bob.

I already changed the line in the gas tank to the engine.
Carb or FI

Originally Posted by Dante Castro
I have a 2007 Dyna street bob. It sounds like its running lean. It sputters and back fires when i let off the gas. Tonight, leaving work, the bike kept dying out and I had to keep on the gas to keep it on. Seemed to run better once it warmed up but still was almost dying out once i got home. I already changed the spark plugs and the line in the gas tank to the engine. Any ideas what could be causing the back fire, sputtering and it dying out?
Off the top of my head - could be a dozen..., or so things

Fuel filter / fuel pump / injectors / fuel system / cracked hose in the fuel tank / tune way the hell off / electrical system breaking down / on..., and on..., and on

How far you willing to dig into this on your own..., vs. taking it to an indy and having them diagnose it (notice I did not say dealer)

If you're willing to go down the worm hole - we certainly can (I'm willing to stick it out)

Step 1 - you have a service manual

Ghost

Last edited by Ghost_13; 07-29-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Is it throwing any codes? ... another thing to try is checking your intake and exhaust for leaks. I used to use starting fluid (ether ) to spray intakes... if your idle goes up when you spray an area (not the filter area) then you may have found an intake leak.

As to the exhaust, find someone who smokes or get a incense stick... blow/hold smoke around your exhaust flanges and other exhaust joint areas.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:41 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

You're giving very little info to go on.
Is the bike stock or do you have any mods to the intake, exhaust or tuner?
How many miles?
Before you buy any more parts to throw at it, try cleaning the IAC. Also check your battery cables at the terminals and ground connection.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Sputtering

What kind of tuner is in it ?