General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down To Business

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Down To Business

Doing an upgrade shopping list for the FB and need the wise to educated me in reference to the best performance upgrades avail.
Only want to do this once.
Bike is totally stock.

Going w/:
1) Dyno Jet Vision Flash Tuner w/ Auto Tuner.
Yes I'll probable end up modifying motor sooner or later & this add on is a definite.

Need recommendations for the following.
Looking for a complete package of components which will enhance each other to obtain optimal performance.

Pro's & Con's.

Air Intake

Slip On's, or do I need a totally different exhaust system?
Don't want something which is extremely loud or have other drawback effects, have hard hearing as it is, so the wife says. What???

Largest Oil cooler available for the 103B.

Anything else I may have overlooked.

Thanks
Everybody have a safe new years eve.

Last edited by Riptide1; 12-31-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:42 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Really? So soon after joining?

This stuff is a never ending topic and components for Stage 1 upgrades are probably a full 20% of the topics.

Look, a stock engine is only capable of exchanging so much air mechanically,
The idea is to remove the restrictions of the stock AF and exhaust to allow that full exchange.
By the time you've moved to something like the Big Sucker for AF your already past what the engine can pull in by itself. Forward facing AF's are little more then just for looks because nobody is riding at the 100mph steadily needed to gain from forced air. Yes, there's going to be some but marginal.

Pipes, the 2 into 1 systems are about the most gain, there's science behind the pipe sizes and exit chamber of such pipes that create a cooling affect that can create a negative pressure and actually help pull air from cylinders,,
Again this is all Stage 1 stuff, when it comes to which is best ?? Well all you have to do is read each Makers web sites,, and soon you'll find they're all the best.
It boils down to what style, look, and sound you want personally.

Want some good advice? Start watching the classifieds here for your model bike,, look for second hand items and save a few bucks (and have resale value) all the while experimenting with what pleases you the most.

Last edited by JohnMn; 12-31-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't put off for tomorrow what can be done today.

From the amount of research I have done, the stock AF & set up SUX!
The engine is sucking in dirty exhaust and unburnt fuel remains through the AF system due to EPA restrictions.
It's not a turbo so this is a negative thing for longevity & life of the motor.
It needs clean air.

Am I on the right track so far?

So, We install the Dyno Jet Auto Tuner, Add a 2-1 exhaust,
Suggestions which of which exhaust system would enhance the complete set up?,
Add a Hi Po Air intake, Suggestions?
Is K&N Hi FLO any better than Outlaw Hi FLO 636V vs. Screamin Eagle Hi FLO?

Every manufacturer on the planet claims their products are the best but we ALL know better than this.

I'm asking which of the available components out there will work together and in harmony to achieve the max. potential of performance which will unleash max HP & acceleration / response of the 103B.

Last edited by Riptide1; 12-31-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry, I was just trying to say that there are about 40 assorted components that for Stage1 ;
"will work together and in harmony to achieve the max. potential of performance which will unleash max HP & acceleration / response of the 103B. "
There simply isn't a cut and dried "Best". If there was we'd all know it and a dozen companies would try to copy it.
(and that's already been done)
Example, each of the 3 air cleaners you ask about use K&N filters and very likely use the same replacement filter.
I was going to use V&H Pro pipe 2-1,
http://products.vanceandhines.com/se...ilter_style=85
I liked the sound better on the videos than the Bassini Roadrage.
But I found a set of V&H Big Shot Long here on the forum for $250.(not a single mark on the chrome)
Go down to the venders list and check out Fuelmoto, they have a pacakge deal for a billit intake and tuner for just over 300, I was going that route until I found a V&H air cleaner here in near Mint shape for $50, and a DK external breather to dump the vents outside the AC.
I will be using the Fuelmoto tuner.

p.s. I should add that the V&H Big Shot's are 2-1-2, they have the same performance as a 2-1,, the pipes come together in a "power chamber" then divide again into 2 pipes for a different more classic look than 2-1,,

Good Luck finding your "best",, (respect intended)

Last edited by JohnMn; 01-01-2015 at 10:38 AM.