General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howard horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 PM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Howard horn issue

I have the dynamic duo on my 11 RKC. I have tried to contact Howard horn and have gotten no response. The problem I have is when you push the horn button you hear the compressor and then the air horn will sound. I have the hose on tight with hose clamps. Any suggestion?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not familiar with that particular horn, so pardon me for my ignorance. But on air horns I've used in the past on cars, the shorter the hose between the compressor and the horns, the less delay there was.

Also, I've heard that if you elect not to use any relay that comes with the horns, this issue could also happen.

Again, not sure if this even applies to you, but wanted to give you some ideas.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Second the motion on the shorter hose. When I moved my Rivco compressor closer to the horns, the delay was gone. Horn seemed louder as well, but that part could be my imagination.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

You have to have the positive wire from the compressor connected directly to the battery or you get a delay. Make sure you have a good ground. I can't remember if I had the neg. wire going to the battery or not. Had the Howard's horn on my 06 and 09 Ultras so it has been a while.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM
asahi1234
Tourer
Default howard

I will double check the connection when i get home in April i am out of state working. Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Howard's Horns for a while and there are times when they seem weak due to a bad connection, which I'll have to check out. But I can also remember a time where I took the back plate off each horn and cleaned / re-installed the plastic Diaphragm and they seemed to work much better, so that could be something to look for and its really simple to do.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,758 Likes on 6,199 Posts

In my experience, they're junk.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

I had a single Howard horn a long long time ago on my road king.
It was probably one of their first concepts.
The horn looked cool but was always just a little slow and i kept it all original.
After several years the motorcycle frame weldment piece (black harley horn bracket) broke and the horn fell to my floor board during a ride.
I guess the design placed to much leverage at the mounting point.
It gave me a sour taste for the product since i was out of warranty and support on a defective product.
The megaphone/flute horn part was always a little loose also.
In your case it sounds like the diaphram part might be dirty with a bug or something, the compressor is not at full power, the hose has expanded or the thing is no good.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Howard's horns are nice looking, nice chrome finish but that's about it. After I installed mine, they were good for about ten "honks" and the compressor crapped out. I used the relay provided, wired them with larger gauge wire as instructed and provided my own in-line fuse...which they don't provide or even mention that you should have one. I removed it, bench tested it and it was froze up. Junk.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

asahi--When I installed my Howards, I had the same issue you are, was a delay, and sounded like a choked goose. All the wiring was correct (grounded directly to battery), and using the relay provided.

I had to take off the 90 degree hose fitting between the horns and use some teflon tape to seal that. I also had to route the clear hose very carefully, even the slightest twist or small kink in it would restrict the air flow. I also took the covers off the diaphragms, flipped the diaphragms over, then re-tightened all the cover screws. Bam, that solved it.

I love my Howards. They are instant and LOUD and work every time I hit the button.

Quick Reply: Howard horn issue