General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Financial

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:15 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

How far are you actually behind? I would get with a military credit union and see if they can help.
Once you get to a certain point being behind on your payments, HDF has the right to take back the bike they already own.
If your behind three or more months and your story is true, I would contact your local Senator and or Congressman and let one of the case workers know. Make sure you do not hide any details like I bought beer etc or I was Honorably discharged and then tried getting disability. See there is the key. Anyway they will help you expedite your claim.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphcastle007@gmail.com
I am a retired military member who is pending VA Disability. My issue is that I have gotten behind on my bike payments while I am pending my VA Compensation; I explained my issues to Harley Financial and Lori in the Military Financing Department stated that now that I wasn't in the military I was not protected. I stated that I had just got out and that I was only falling behind due to the slow VA processing of our disability claims. Due to my PTSD and sleep issues I am pending the Individual Unemployable Status. All I needed was some time until the VA settled with me, but Lori and her supervisor will not hear any of that, they are now trying to repo my bike even after i tried to catch up my payments. Harley Financial won't even let make payments. Harley says they support Veterans, but not according to Lori and her supervisors.
It took over a year for the VA to get to my file for disability rating after I retired. Then it was denied and I had to appeal it which took almost 2-years. Had a hearing in DC with the VA court and was finally awarded a disability (50%). I had two major back surgeries (work related...submarines) which resulted in my last two years in the Navy being on permanent limited duty so I could retire at 20 years.

My case was a slam dunk and should have never been denied. The judge at the VA court went off on the VA lawyer on how they could have even considered denying my claim as it was well documented that it occurred while on duty on my last submarine and affected my employment.

So...just wanted to let you know, there is no quick adjudication on claims through the VA. Not sure how long you expect to get a VA disability rating, but it is not going to be weeks or even a few months.

Thankfully I was represented by a Disabled American Veterans (DAV) after I was initially denied a disability rating. They even represented me at court (I sat there and they talked with the Judge for me). I became a Life Member of the DAV due to the work they do.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM
ssgsimon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for DAV one of the best VSO's out there.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,410 Likes on 11,182 Posts

My son is active duty and he says a PTSD VA disability claim is going to take a long time to settle. Sorry for the bad news but you are in for a lot of tests to verify the disability. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

1. get your senators/congressman involved
2. consumer finance protection bureau : http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

the second will send inquiries to the bank involved and will end up way up the food chain. there are huge penalties to any financial institution that doesn't respond to them in a timely fashion.

Hopefully that will help until you can resolve your situation. Thanks for your service.