General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much rake to be a chopper

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Falcon81
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How much rake to be a chopper

I am looking to rake out my Dyna with a copper kit. I know some might say a real chopper can only be when th neck is cut but that I not something l am willing to do. Looking for some opinions on how much rake does a bike need to be considered a chopper?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I had a chopper in the 70s and mine wasn't raked but it did have a long front end...among other chopper stuff...tall sissy bad, hump seat, upsweep fishtails.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There have been many styles of choppers over time, so it depends on the look you want to achieve. That said, if your desire is to have people will look at your ride and see a chopper, you have to have long, narrow, raked forks. Some will say that rake will need to be 45 degrees or more.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,194 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon81
I know some might say a real chopper can only be when th neck is cut but that I not something l am willing to do.

http://www.chopperkitusa.com/

http://www.seegercycle.com/

Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Falcon81
Advanced

I was looking at the ame kit with 9 degree of rake and 4 inch over tubes. That would bring me from 29 degrees to 38. I want a chopper but not soo much that it appears disproportionate with a Dyna frame. Is 38 degrees enough to classify it as a chopper? That is 4 degrees more rake than the wide glide and 3 more than the breakout.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The term "chopper" originated way back after WW II, when returning servicemen bought military surplus Harleys and "chopped" off anything they could to save weight. It had nothing to do with rake. What we now call a "bobber", a bike with the rear fender cut off right behind the seat, would be an example of a true "chopper."

http://www.choppers.com/history.asp

Old 09-19-2015, 01:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Looking for bragging rights are you ? Throwing on raked trees does not a chopper make .....

Old 09-19-2015, 02:09 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Degree of rake has nothing to do with being a chopper...

Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Falcon81
Advanced

So if a Harley with a raked front end, sissy bar, 21 front wheel and ape hangers is not a chopper then what is? A Big Bear, orange County?

In response to twizted biker, I am not looking for bragging rights but to make my Dyna a chopper.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

"So if a Harley with a raked front end, sissy bar, 21 front wheel and ape hangers is not a chopper then what is?"

Here's a '70 Triumph Bonneville in the first picture. With everything stripped in the second and third picture. Gas tank, oil tank, battery, wheels, all the electrics (lights, wiring harness, two coils, two sets of points, rectifier, zenor diode), seat, handlebars, swing arm, exhaust system, front and rear fenders, head and tail light, front fork lowers with external springs. All tabs cut off the frame.

Replaced with two gallon homemade coffin tank, Hallcraft front wheel with 5" brake and with 2.75" tire, three quart Santee octagon oil tank and bolt on hard tail, drag pipes, Sebring solid state power unit to run the lights, ARD magneto to run the motor, bobbed rear fender, hand rolled home made front fender, Cibie headlight and side mounted taillight/license plate holder, king and queen seat, six bend pullpack handle bars, homemade sissy bar/luggage rack. Electrical box (mounted on front down tube opposite the Sebring power unit) homemade from a pay phone coin box, House of Color Fucia over white pearl lacquer paint by yours truly. All parts including bolts and nuts sent to Ocala plating in Florida for chroming (now an EPA superfund cleanup site!) Eight inch over front Forks by Frank with internal springs on a stock neck created a "grass hopper" chopper. Front motormounts remade, extending out to mount highway pegs. Engine bored out .060, Amal carbs sleeved and calibrated.

The fourth picture is after I went to night school to learn how to weld, and my instructor cut 3/4" out of the top rail of the frame, heated, bent, and triangle-lized the frame neck, to level the bike because of the 8" over forks. Picture taken somewhere in New Mexico when I rode this from Minnesota to Mexico in 1974.

I also had a 5.00 x 16 rear wheel, but it would not clear in the hardtail. That wheel, 40 years later, is on my '75 Trident.

If you look at the second picture, upper left, you'll see a Peter Fonda Captain America chopper print hanging on my garage wall. Yeah, we all wanted to be Easy Rider back in the day!

Attached Thumbnails How much rake to be a chopper-scrapbook3.jpg   How much rake to be a chopper-scrapbook2.jpg   How much rake to be a chopper-bonnychop.jpg   How much rake to be a chopper-new_mexico_trip-sm.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 09-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: How much rake to be a chopper