General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Models

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Magiclint
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Models

Hi all.

Am looking to get a Dyna but am new to HD. Can anyone advise what the differences are between the likes of the wide glide, street bob and low rider? Recommendations for a new rider?

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,136 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Different styles on the FX chassis.

Wide Glide has that classic semi chopper look, forwards, that bigger front fork, different rear fender (at least used to have the flared bob rear fender), I think bigger engine by default.

Street Bob...a more sons of anarchy style, some more black paint.

Low...classic clean Dyna/SuperGlide look.

Really gotta go to the dealership and look at them side by side, sit on them side by side...and test ride...see which one YOU like the most.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

They have the same power train and frame, a fair bit of differences from there. Looks are usually important to most but subjective of course. Sit on all three and see how they fit you, each is different with handle bars and foot locations. The wide glide will stand out for its particular handling, it has the longest rake, some love it of course, but many would say it's the worst choice for good cornering. Most accessories will fit all 3 models. You can go on the HD website and customize and order a street Bob, not so the other two. I would focus on style and fit, functionally the differences are minor and the grand scheme of things. If you want a windshield at some point, the fat Bob dual headlights will limit choices. If you want saddlebags at some point, the Street Bob's side mounted plate will limit choices, of course there are options to move it. $ can change any of them, but which could you get on and ride without wanting to spend a lot on right away?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Default quick question

Originally Posted by Switchback12
They have the same power train and frame, a fair bit of differences from there. Looks are usually important to most but subjective of course. Sit on all three and see how they fit you, each is different with handle bars and foot locations. The wide glide will stand out for its particular handling, it has the longest rake, some love it of course, but many would say it's the worst choice for good cornering. Most accessories will fit all 3 models. You can go on the HD website and customize and order a street Bob, not so the other two. I would focus on style and fit, functionally the differences are minor and the grand scheme of things. If you want a windshield at some point, the fat Bob dual headlights will limit choices. If you want saddlebags at some point, the Street Bob's side mounted plate will limit choices, of course there are options to move it. $ can change any of them, but which could you get on and ride without wanting to spend a lot on right away?

Do they have the same frame? I thought the rake was deeper on the WG?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat

Really gotta go to the dealership and look at them side by side, sit on them side by side...and test ride...see which one YOU like the most.
Always the best answer...

Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Yep best bet is to see them at the dealer.

I liked the Street Bob the best of the bunch, but everyone is different. I had a friend set on a wide glide, but after going to the dealer, he found the fat bob was a much better fit & feel for him.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I looked primarily at Wide Glide and Fat Bob - much preferred the feel and handling of the Fat Bob. Really should go look and test drive.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Magiclint
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. I am planning to head to a dealership this weekend so will take your advice and see what one feels right.

Thoughts on joining local clubs?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:37 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Do they have the same frame? I thought the rake was deeper on the WG?
I thought all the Dynas shared the same frame with the difference in the WG being the offset triple clamps. I could be wrong though.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 783 Posts
Default Ride them all

Disclaimer: I own a 2013 Super Glide Custom which I bought after owning a Road King Custom for nine years.

I just returned from Americade and rode the Fat Bob with their standard forward controls, Street Bob with forward controls (you can get it with mid controls also), Low Rider and Low Rider S with their standard slightly forward mid controls. They did not have a Switchback or Wideglide available to ride.

The Low Rider S was in a class of its own as it comes with the 110 cu.in. engine and the $600 HD nitrogen emulsion shocks. It felt like I could lift the front wheel off the road at will. Definitely different than anything the factory has offered.

The differences in the others with the stock 103 cu.in. engine were distinct with a personality and fit of their own. I am not a fan of forward controls but of the remaining bikes the Fat Bob grabbed me most. The dual disc brakes on a fat front wheel and tire Attached to the wider forks was more stable at highway speeds and seemed more planted through the curves. The stock seat on the FB was without a doubt the most comfortable. I did feel a vibration through the seat of my pants at 90 mph which the others didn't do so it was probably unique to that bike.

The standard Low Rider was a lot of fun to throw around. The 103 had plenty of ***** and the dual disc brakes were confidence building. Don't know why they put thinner hand grips on the Low Rider but that is easy to fix with lots of choices available. I actually prefer the slightly forward position of the pegs over my standard mid controls.

The Street Bob was very familiar to me as it is basically a Super Glide with less bling. If you are into investing to make a bike yours then this is your bike. It is the lowest cost of entry into the family and the perfect pallet for customization. Plan on investing in a seat because the stock seat is like sitting on patio block.

I have ridden a Switchback in the past and it is unique to the breed with a large removeable windshield, floor boards and hard bags. It's like a light weight Road King touring bike. Take off the windshield and bags and you have a cool looking cruiser. ( I just can't get over the fugly wheels the factory puts on this bike)

Never ridden a Wideglide.

As I said at the top it is good to get opinions but do yourself a favor and ride all of them. Looks alone do not tell the story.

Good luck!

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 06-09-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna Models