General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge vs. MSF

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 AM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riders Edge vs. MSF

I took the Edge and loved every minute of it---it really was fun and I learned a bunch. I dont know how the MSF is so cant comment. The Edge class was 5 days and 30 or so hours. Very personal and professional service. They gave us food and snacks during class, which was cool. The bikes are year old Blasts--dont really matter what the bike is. I never rode before the Blast and after the course I'm riding a softail pretty comfortably. You cant go wrong with the Edge. imho

Old 10-04-2005, 11:01 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tex,

I'm a MSF/Rider's Edge instructor. The difference is the amount of time, 15 hours, and the bikes, 498cc Buell blasts. Also the Rider's Edge insructors have more training. Harley watches use closer tham the MSF for quality and improvement.
I can't speak for the Rider's Edge in Texas but ours only processes six students at a time instead of twelve, it's more of team effort to learn to ride a motorcycle.
You can't go wrong with the MSF/BRC either, as long as you take a course you will be ahead of the game.
I have had students take the BRC, Beginners Rider Course, then take our Rider's Edge course and say they prefered ours. I like to think that we do a better job but, the difference may be just getting a different teaching approach that touches their own learning style.
Whatever you choose, you've made a good desision to take a course before venturing out on your own. Good luck, hope to see you on the road someday!

DC.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dc1450

Tex,

I'm a MSF/Rider's Edge instructor. The difference is the amount of time, 15 hours, and the bikes, 498cc Buell blasts. Also the Rider's Edge insructors have more training. Harley watches use closer tham the MSF for quality and improvement.
I can't speak for the Rider's Edge in Texas but ours only processes six students at a time instead of twelve, it's more of team effort to learn to ride a motorcycle.
You can't go wrong with the MSF/BRC either, as long as you take a course you will be ahead of the game.
I have had students take the BRC, Beginners Rider Course, then take our Rider's Edge course and say they prefered ours. I like to think that we do a better job but, the difference may be just getting a different teaching approach that touches their own learning style.
Whatever you choose, you've made a good desision to take a course before venturing out on your own. Good luck, hope to see you on the road someday!

DC.
Now the real course I'd like to take is the next one.. advanced through MSF.. Is it still offered.. I can't find it on the MSF website.
Not sure if Blue Ridge Comm. College still offers. The courses are tough to get into around here. For that course I think you use your own bike?

Edit: Found it..
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...20RiderCourses
http://www.blueridge.cc.nc.us/Files/...tion&CertID=41

Now my question is.. is this a good course to be taking with a fatboy?? or would it be better to borrow someone elses more practical bike, like a friends Kawa??

Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Babs,

Yes, it called the "Experienced Rider Course", and Rider's Edge calls it the "Skilled Rider's Course", both are basicly the same but, of course Harley adds it's "fluff".
There are fewer ERC/SRCs scheduled but they are avaliable, check with your local school. And yes, you ride your bike.

DC

Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Babs,

Yes, it called the "Experienced Rider Course", and Rider's Edge calls it the "Skilled Rider's Course", both are basicly the same but, of course Harley adds it's "fluff".
There are fewer ERC/SRCs scheduled but they are avaliable, check with your local school. And yes, you ride your bike.

DC
Found it.. Check my edit above. Is a fatboy a suitable bike for the ERC?

Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Babs,

Ride your own bike, you'll have a ball. Consider it a day of playing on your bike without having to dodge traffic. Challenge yourself, you have nothing to lose you have a licence, you have a bike, just go out and play on it!.
DC.
ORIGINAL: Babs

Tex,

DC.
Now the real course I'd like to take is the next one.. advanced through MSF.. Is it still offered.. I can't find it on the MSF website.
Not sure if Blue Ridge Comm. College still offers. The courses are tough to get into around here. For that course I think you use your own bike?

Edit: Found it..
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...20RiderCourses
http://www.blueridge.cc.nc.us/Files/...tion&CertID=41

Now my question is.. is this a good course to be taking with a fatboy?? or would it be better to borrow someone elses more practical bike, like a friends Kawa??

Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Babs,
I would highly recommend the advanced course and if your wife or girlfriend is a frequent passenger the advanced course is setup (here in Texas anyway) so that a passenger can also go through the course. This makes the course significantly more difficult for the rider, but the training is great!!

side note to dc1450: How much time does teaching the course, edge continuing training, etc. take up? I have been approached by several of the instructors asking me to make the jump over, but I think they are practicing politics on the amount of time that is needed... Thanks,

Old 10-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool! I was just concerned about what kind of crazy things they have you do on the ERC.
Good to know then.. I'll give martha a call and see when I can take it.. The old timers around here swear by it.. some have taken it a few times to stay brushed up.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
NativeTexan
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the info. I'll have to check on times and dates and probably try to take the class next month.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Tex,

The BRC runs 15 hours, figure another three or four prep work.
The SRC runs 8-9 hours with 1/2- 1 hour prep/cleanup.
It's a 5 day Instructor Prep course to be Rider's Edge trained and there's an annual update. I have only been to one, a two day update in 'Vegas. Had to get there a day early and rent bikes to ride around Lake Mead too, really sucked ya know?
The next one will be in Kansas City next Sept.
You will have to attend stated updates too, in Mass. it's one day in the winter. The rest is done at your school as they observe your work and try to give you consructive comments or new techniques.

DC.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge vs. MSF