General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the "Range" function automatically adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Does the "Range" function automatically adjust?

My bike has a "Range" function. The "Range" is the number of miles that the ECM calculates I have remaining given the amount of fuel in the tank.

If I change the pipes or other component, which increases air flow, which, in turn, causes the closed loop to add more fuel, will the "Range" function automatically adjust for this? And if so, how does it do it?

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-13-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:10 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

It does adjust itself. I don't know exactly how it does it but on my bike, the range changes every fill up. I think it averages the fuel used the previous tank to calculate the range.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Does the bike calculate "instantaneous fuel economy"? I ask because my car does this and it appears to adjust the "range" based on what the fuel economy reading is at the moment.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:02 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
It does adjust itself. I don't know exactly how it does it but on my bike, the range changes every fill up. I think it averages the fuel used the previous tank to calculate the range.
I think you're right - I'm betting that it uses the last tank or couple of tanks. It's apparent to me most when I'm riding across south Dakota at 85 MPH. My mileage goes down significantly, and so does my range.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes it is constantly adjusting based on the inputs for various sensors.

That is why when it displays you have 50 miles of fuel left, it will never come out as exactly that.
Heavy on the throttle, more uphill than downhill, nice steady cruise on level ground, stop and go city traffic, all affect the "range".
And the range displayed will change according to conditions.

All computer controlled fuel injected vehicles have the ability to calculate that "instant" fuel economy as well. But very few of them today actually display it, since it is not really very useful.
Instant is just calculating the amount of fuel going through the injectors at that instant.
The next instant the amount will change.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

When the fuel gauge indicates 1/4 tank I start looking for fuel, there is no reserve on EFI bikes. I don't think the wife would want to hike for gas.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:05 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
When the fuel gauge indicates 1/4 tank I start looking for fuel, there is no reserve on EFI bikes. I don't think the wife would want to hike for gas.
Reserve on an EFI bike works just as well as on carb bikes.

Carb Bike: When bike sputters, turn petcock to reserve and continue on for approx. 30 miles

EFI: Low fuel light comes when tank gets low. You have approx. 25-30 miles before you run out.
Think of that low fuel light as "reserve".

Not really a lot of difference between them.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't pay attention to the range as there are too many variables to affect it. However, when my miles remaining display reads "Lo", I'm getting close to fumes and have about 15 miles left.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:17 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I tested mine today, it was a bit nerve wracking, but the Range showed 17 miles then counted down quickly to 10 miles (I was doing 80+mph) then it said LORNG until I was able to get to a gas station which was about 10 more miles. I filled up and it took 4.5 gallons in the 5 gal tank. So I maybe had 15 more miles before sitting on the shoulder waiting for help.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:34 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Just the other day, was check'n range. Distraction caused a drift and I'm like "Oh Hell!" I didn't know whether to lean or counter-steer. Thank God the ECM stumbled and auto-fixed my line. Damn, this bike ride'n is just freaky I tell'ya!

All in fun Miker- Damn you think a lot

Quick Reply: Does the "Range" function automatically adjust?