General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"German" helmets

Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "German" helmets

I had a non-riding friend ask me why some bikers wear the WWII German style helmet. She thought that perhaps it was some Neo **** statement. I told her I doubted that was true but I could'nt give her any answer. So why do some wear them?
I know in some of the older biker films some would wear them but they would also be covered in swastikas. I'd like to think that nowadays the people that do wear them do so for other reasons. Any thoughts?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: "German" helmets

I just think they look better than the "half" helmet does. Just waiting for ACC to make a DOT verson of it. No Natzi feeling here. Just like them. Bryan

Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: akenaten

I had a non-riding friend ask me why some bikers wear the WWII German style helmet. She thought that perhaps it was some Neo **** statement. I told her I doubted that was true but I could'nt give her any answer. So why do some wear them?
I know in some of the older biker films some would wear them but they would also be covered in swastikas. I'd like to think that nowadays the people that do wear them do so for other reasons. Any thoughts?
I've wondered about the swastika thing also- I've seen them on vests/tattoos of various MC members. Is this for shock value, or something else?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of biker clubs were started by wwII VETS. They brought them back as souveniers and they made sense to wear on a bike. They had swastikas on them, and the vets loved the shock value too. People try to emulate the " hard biker clubs", and viola, patches, tattoos, wwII german helmets. Bye the way, I love tattoos, patches, and yes, german helmets.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:15 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

I think they're ugly. Hence, the d1ckhead syndrome.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:15 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Has nothing to do with Neo-****.One of my best friends has one chromed and he loves it.100% good American!It is a neat style.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

I think this goes back to the early 60s when many states started mandatory helmet laws. At that time you could put just about anything on your head and as long as it looked like a helmet the cops werent going to hastle you. WWII wasnt that far in the past and German helmets were readily available cheap from any army / navy surplus store.I remember seeing members of a local 1%er club wearing real german helmets. One guy even had a huge spike sticking up thru the center. Their club house had a huge red **** flag that took up one entire wall. Remember the 60s was a time of rebellion. Sex, drugs, rock n roll & bikes.To wear a **** helmet, or swastikaarm band was a statement to the rest of society to kiss your a$$...........BG

Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DYNAMITE 1

Alot of biker clubs were started by wwII VETS. They brought them back as souveniers and they made sense to wear on a bike. They had swastikas on them, and the vets loved the shock value too. People try to emulate the " hard biker clubs", and viola, patches, tattoos, wwII german helmets. Bye the way, I love tattoos, patches, and yes, german helmets.
DYNAMITE 1 has it exactly correct. Returning WWII veterans had a booty of souveniers,but came back to no jobs and a very tight market for automobiles. Automobiles had been out of productionthrough most of theconflict in favor of manufacturing for the war effort.(Jeeps, tanks, guns, ammunition, aircraft etc.)

What was not in short supply for the returning servicemenwas surplus motorcycles! A vet could buy a surplus bike for $25 dollars and have immediate transportation as well as a nice thrill that helped them cope with the 'drop' from combat. Combined withthis verycheap transportation, the German helmets and GI issue leather bomber jackets, fatigues, military boots etc. made good sense.

Long story short.. that was the beginnings of theoutlaw biker clubs that grew into legend in later years.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
KenM
Road Master

I met a guy this week with one.
He was on a HondaCB 750. Leathers, full beard and the German helmet.

To me -they look silly

Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we sure these "Swastikas" aren't a Maltese Cross?

I see the Maltese cross all the time.....I rarely see a Swastika.

They have very different symbolism although many mistake the two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "German" helmets