General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer

Posted this a while back in the Dyna section with no responses I have some questions about pulling a trailer with the bike. I'm justwondering about how it feels in corners, How much the wind screws with you, and if in general it's ok.

No problem loading all the stuff on the bike when I'm alone, but if I take my wife with on a longer trip I'll need to figure something else out. Also the wind across South Dakota was really tossing my assend around with all that stuff piled on. And forget about the cornering at decent speeds, the bike feels top heavy with all that crap. So, just wondering about trailers and tossing some ideas around.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulling a trailer

Guess I'm old school. If you can't put it on the bike, it ain't going!
Seriously, I'd never use a trailer. I know there are tons of guys here that do, but I just don't think it's safe. Was an acquaintance of a guy who was coming back to Lebanon from Little Sturgis, Ky. He was pulling a trailer. The right side trailer got off road, flipped and killed him.
Nuff said for me.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

A little slower taking off and need more room to stop. Four of my brothers pull trailers (one is a pop up camper) they keep up in the twisties. Ever run up AZ 191? These guys do 80+ on the interstate while pulling and scrape the floor boards in the corners.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I have pulled a trailer for several years. Stopping distance is slightly increased. You will not be quite as peppy coming off the line. It actually keeps your center of gravity lower than piling everything on the bike. I can't hardly tell it is behind me other than that I have probably pulled one 30 - 40 k miles. On my second trailer. The new one is a Bushtec. Really pulls nice.