General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Close call

I had a close call yesterday and it really shook me up. I was on Hwy 1 in Mississippi south of Greenville. I was on my home to Arkansas. The weather was beautiful. Son shining, not a cloud in the sky. It was about 3 pm. Hwy 1 is a 2 lane state highway. I saw a box truck coming towards me. We got about 100 yds apart at the most. All of a sudden a SUV pulled out from behind him to pass. I grabbed brakes and was ready to meet my maker. ;I started going towards the gravel shoulder on my side and knew I was going down but hopefully not hit her head on. The SUV went off the road on the shoulder on my side so I went back towards the middle of my lane. I went between her and the box truck in my lane. I almost stopped to check on her but she kept going so I did too. I was shaking like a leaf. I pulled off in a farmers lot and shut the bike off and was sitting there. The farmer walked up to me and asked if I was ok. I told him what happened and he told me pull up in his shop and relax a while, so I did. Turned out he's good friends with my cousin that has a tire store in Greenville. We sat there, he got me a glass of sweet tea, which I could barely hold, and we talked for about 1/2 an hour. I had relaxed by then and told him I needed to hit the road and get back home. The big man upstairs was looking our for me.

The following 6 users liked this post by penmaker:
Bluesrider.df (10-06-2018), cficole (10-17-2018), CrBear (10-07-2018), M8USA (10-07-2018), pab3rd (10-06-2018), ve9aa (10-06-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Wow! That was close. I'm glad you're here to tell the story.

The following users liked this post:
penmaker (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:07 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Glad you are okay and still to tell your tale. Sounds about as close as they get. Yeah, that would have anyone shook up for a spell...

penmaker (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

You'll have that when we mix scooters and cages !!! Give thanks for your ability to pass safely through what could have been a very bad out come. Your skills were a great asset. Thank you for sharing your experience.

penmaker (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Glad your ok. Whatever it was you did was obvious the right thing and these things happen so fast.

Yesterday I was riding on 190 E/B between Livingston and Woodville. There were no vehicles either in front or behind me in my sight line. Up ahead on the roadway about 300 yards I see a Hawk swoop down from the sky heading W/B directly toward me. I was set on cruise control at 70 MPH. I dipped right the Hawk moved left, I dipped left the Hawk moved right. I don't know how fast it was moving but we were closing fast. I finally decided to brake down as fast as I could and move to the shoulder. At the last second while bracing for impact this Hawk swoops up and disappeared into the woods.

It happened so fast it was like it never happened. I was pretty freaked out for a couple of minutes. I don't smoke, but felt like I needed a cigarette. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Cbyway; 10-06-2018 at 11:27 AM.
penmaker (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 AM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you're ok. Would have have scared the bejesus out of me too. I was reading a few editorials from motorman yesterday saying that you should never lay'er down as you give up all control and stopping power. He said people panic and lock up the brakes and go down. Sounds like you kept your head on straight and took the best course of action.

penmaker (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:45 AM
penmaker
Road Master

Everything happened so fast but yet it seemed like a lifetime. She was definitely in the wrong for trying to pass but luckily she did the right thing for my sake by going to the shoulder on my side. That kept me on the pavement and upright and rolling. I don't mean this in a racist way at all, please don't take it that way, but she was black and all I could see was white eyes.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:50 AM
penmaker
Road Master

Here's a picture from about an hour from the house. No traffic so I pulled off and took a picture. Beautiful sunset to cap off a great ride..........well, except for the excitement.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:51 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
Everything happened so fast but yet it seemed like a lifetime. She was definitely in the wrong for trying to pass but luckily she did the right thing for my sake by going to the shoulder on my side. That kept me on the pavement and upright and rolling. I don't mean this in a racist way at all, please don't take it that way, but she was black and all I could see was white eyes.
One thing I've learned in my years riding is stupid transcends all boundaries, be it race, sex or religion, glad you did well some wouldn't have.

Now let us know when you've talked your ******* in to working again and giving your shorts back.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:03 PM
penmaker
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
One thing I've learned in my years riding is stupid transcends all boundaries, be it race, sex or religion, glad you did well some wouldn't have.

Now let us know when you've talked your ******* in to working again and giving your shorts back.

Quick Reply: Close call