General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going the Distance: Golden Years Riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

74 and still going. I intend to until I no longer feel safe.\

Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Once you put on a helmet and sun glasses not many people will be able to tell how old you are so to heck with them.

I'll be 68 before the next riding season arrives and I plan to ride (something) for as long as I'm able.
I have 2 bikes and just got a new trike but I have to admit that due to a knee issue I do have some qualms about riding the CVO Ultra, specifically the issue of repeatedly lifting it off of the kick stand.
My other issue is (at least for now) is that I just had a by-pass (quad) surgery and even driving a vehicle is a no-no until I do my follow-up visit and get the "nod" to start driving again.

I'll ride the Ultra when the wife rides along with me on her Heritage but the fate of the Ultra depends on me getting a fair price for it IF and WHEN I decide to officially put it up for sale. IF, I sell the Ultra my EVO Heritage Softail Springer will be my "Sunday" bike and the trike will be for trips and two-up riding.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Here's an old guy still riding:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-78...-bike.1348754/

my dad is ready to downsize his motorcycle.
He’s currently on a 2015 HD Road Glide that’s really comfortable but is over 900 lbs!
We just rode around Lake Superior in August and camped for 3 nights so he’s still wanting to be able to take a trip but the big heavy bike is just too much for him.
He’s not interested in a trike or 3 wheeler .
He is thinking maybe BMW or Triumph , needs low seat height, and easy knee angle.
What should I suggest he looks at?
Then an even older guy chimes in:
I'm 85 and got a BMW g310gs this year, works fine for me.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

simply put... it's not the years that get ya, it's the miles.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,600 Likes on 652 Posts

when i cant crack a horn anymore

Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,999 Likes on 2,816 Posts

"Going The Distance."

Reminds me of a column by the same name from Scott "Genghis" Wong in Iron Horse Magazine. I miss the days of David Snow, Mabel, Sally the Bitch and the **** Peas. If you're interested Genghis can still be found over at the SEEDY X -Bar and Grill. http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/74976.html And if you don't get it, I guess you had to be there.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I lived a rough life and even though I’m only in my 60’s, I’m pretty beat up. Was not that long ago, I wouldn’t hesitate to jump on my bike and do consecutive 15 to 20 hour days. Just don’t have it in me any more. I can, but why suffer?

I am retired now and make it a point to ride every day. I don’t go far but do go far enough to keep my demons in check. Nowadays, that’s good enough for me. I shudder to think I might live long enough that I’ll have to give it up.

Lord, please make me dead, before you make me too old!

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Riding at age 76 nad beyond

I'm 76 and came back to riding just 1 year ago after 40 years off and I hope to be riding for some time to come as long as I'm physically able. In order to accomplish this goal, I have put myself into a exersize program at my local Y, one hour a day-3 time a week, to maintain my leg strength and upper body strength under the guidance of a fitness coach. Doesn't hurt that I'm toneing up my mussles and losing up some of the OLD age skin as well as having better control of my weght.

At this age and the fact that I'm just returning to riding, I'm very satisfied that I can do a few hundred miles a week doing some ocasional 3 to 4 hour rides to no where. Might not be as much as other riders do , but I find I need some off the bike time as well. And, I'm not ashamed to say after a longer ride, I find I need to take a nap

I would love to be riding something larger than my '18 Cherry, but just can't handle the weight. Riding would not be the problem but you gotta be able to get it up off the kick stand and hold it up at stops. Since I'm vertically challanged and small of stature, the Heritage is about as large as I can handle weight wise for now. Not sure what will happen as the years drag on.

PS: Jjust read previous post by IronAss and had to edit this post. I completely agree with his closing statement: "Lord, please make me dead, before you make me too old!". However, I can only hope it is not the bike that puts me down!

Last edited by FrankEV; 11-07-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added text
Northernproducer (11-09-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,256 Likes on 8,518 Posts

75. Plan to ride as long as I can remember my way back home

SBRob (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

A decision that is unique to each of us.
No one owes anyone else an explanation about why they stopped riding.

ole_phart (11-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Going the Distance: Golden Years Riding