General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bonehead move

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bonehead move

I think I need a new battery regardless as the bike was bought used and i cannot verify the age or reliability of the battery but it had to be jumped recently and i did do so from my truck....with the truck running. just did it out of habit liked jumping a car and didn't think to leave it off. anyway afterwards the bike has run fine since. i keep it on a trickle charger now and the voltage stays good while riding. curious if i had done some sort of damage when jumping from a running vehicle how quickly would it be apparent and what sorts of issues would it potentially have caused?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

You should not have any damage from jumping it off from a running vehicle.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know in my lifetime I have done it and never had issue, but since then ive read it shouldn't be done and wasn't thinking this last time and did it out of habit. now after reading how it can jack up the bike I am just second guessing and paranoid

Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

A 12 volt battery is 12.8 volts or so at full charge. The alternator puts out about 14.9 or so. That charges battery.

Be it car, bike...

Problem about jumping a bike is if the battery is junk, you have it running and your bikes charge system is working very hard to charge. No problem if battery is good.

Get your battery charged good on maintance charger. Pull it (you will insure connection going back plus these small batteries tend to shake and get loose.)
Take it to AutoZone and with battery OUT, have them check it . Be sure they set their machine at proper low amperage .(probably around 375 CCA). Should be on battery.
Then you will know what you have. If you can find a date and it is 4 years old. Replace it.

I have had numerous small batteries check and most of the time they error saying it is good. Think most equipment is junk or not very reliable on small batteries

Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Not sure why you would expect or anticipate any damage. It is not as if voltage will double. Any damage would have occurred if you had connected the jumper cables backwards, thus reversing polarity. Good luck finding a battery. I've seen a few posts here about battery recommendations and places where you can get one without losing your shirt.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:16 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Don't be cheep buy a new battery cheep maintenance better then being on the side of the road.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

The reason you shouldn't jump another vehicle with yours running is that if the dead vehicle has a problem, it can damage the good vehicle. Always jump start with the good vehicle shut off. I too, do not know why you think there may have been damage.

The following users liked this post:
Geoff (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The danger lies in the possibility, however remote, that the running vehicle has a bad voltage regulator or for some other reason, sends a voltage spike to your bike. That could cause problems.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
The reason you shouldn't jump another vehicle with yours running is that if the dead vehicle has a problem, it can damage the good vehicle. Always jump start with the good vehicle shut off. I too, do not know why you think there may have been damage.
Must be an up north thing. I've been jumping vehicles all my life in both the big city and the country. On the ranch, jumping tractors, trucks, ATV's anything with a battery. I have never heard or seen anyone jump a dead battery and not have the jumping vehicle running.

My uncle, a lifetime mechanic always instructed me to be safe and have both vehicles off when hooking up the cables. Once connected, start the jump vehicle and let it run a minute or two before turning the ignition on the dead vehicle. From what I've witnessed, most don't wait, everyone is in a hurry. Also, most connect all cable ends to both batteries. I was taught to connect the negative to an unpainted ground under the hood and to always use good heavy gauge cables.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I totally agree with cbyway. I was a auto mechanic and never had any issues when jumping any vehicle as long as the cables are on correct. Most folks buy cheap jumper cables which take time to exchange the charge from the good vehicle to the dead vehicle. Invest in a good, heavy duty set of cables or jump box.

Quick Reply: bonehead move