General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Cordt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please Help

I have an 2017 Iron 883. While i was on my way to work and stoped at a light my clutch cable snaped and stalled out in first gear. i opened my primary and changed my cable along with fresh fluids. when i reassyembled everything and started her up i noticed the when im in first gear testing to see where my clutch engages it sounds like there is something rubbing really badly. my first thought was the chain tensioner so i backed that completly off and the nosie still continued. At this point i took apart my primary again to double check everything inside. I then did another complete clutch adjustment along with a tension adjustment using the view port. After again putting everything back together i put another thing of new fluid in it. the noise was still there. at this point i decided to see if i can ride it still so i just took it out of my garage and suffered though the noise to see if at any point it stops. it did but while releasing the clutch the bike almost seemed to want to stall but didnt. there was a small click then the noise went away. when pulling in the clutch then releasing again the same thing with noise and power loss. so i shut it down and rolled it inside. After getting it back in i noticed that i had just rolled my bike into the garage while it was still in gear (first to be exact but does the same in second). I know this is not of the normality. Any hep and guidance would be greatly recieved.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Gearhead_573
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds to me like your clutch is toast.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Have you thought about why you cable snapped in the first place? was it hard to pull in when it broke? seems you have other issue other then a cable, maybe issues with the clutch it self, sorry I could not be of more help, but backtrack to the point when it broke, have never had a cable break on a bike that was operating properly. I'm sure others will help you.

rk classic.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts
Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Cordt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Have you thought about why you cable snapped in the first place? was it hard to pull in when it broke? seems you have other issue other then a cable, maybe issues with the clutch it self, sorry I could not be of more help, but backtrack to the point when it broke, have never had a cable break on a bike that was operating properly. I'm sure others will help you.

rk classic.
It snapped at the handle looking at it looks like it was slightly corroded.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts

Pay attention at the 6:46 mark, and make sure the arm connecting the other end of the cable is in the right position.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,240 Likes on 6,001 Posts

There is an XL only forum out there... xlforum.net or xlforum.com I used to hang years ago when I had my Sportster... There are a lot of good knowledgeable folks there too. Not saying you won't get what you need here, but it is just another source to try. Otherwise i'm sorry to say I can't offer much right now.