General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Back Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 AM
Dano_Canuck
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lower Back Problems

Hello all, I知 new here but about to purchase a new(or used) HD ride and was looking for a little guidance.

I have some pretty bad lower back issues that will require fusion surgery in the near future, I知 looking to ultimately get a cruising machine for trips to Canada from time to time with the lady but for now I want to start on something smaller. Is there any particular bike/seat/backrest/handle bar setup that will minimize my back issues? I can稚 be the only one ridin that has back issues and looking to tap into this huge and helpful group for a little guidance,

ive been to my local dealerships but they have no convincing answers. I think what I知 looking for is experiences from real riders with similar conditions.

Any pointers would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks and ride on...Canuck in the Deep South

Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 383 Posts

I have back issues so I can relate. You'll need a good seat with backrest. I have the Mustang Vintage with Backrest, which works well for me.

But, with your back as it is as you say, you should give this some serious thought about riding a motorcycle. One accident could very well put you into an awful situation with your back. I have a Mustang convertible that I get similar enjoyment as my bike. Days that my back is out, the Mustang come out to play. Or you may want to look into the Harley 3-wheeler.

Just my thoughts. What ever you choose, enjoy your trip and many more. Lots of stuff to see out there.

Edit: Don't get a bike with forward controls. To much pressure on your back.

Last edited by robarosa; 05-07-2019 at 04:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by robarosa:
Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019), e6fmf (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I am also having some issues riding my Heritage.

Before a trip last year, was having a lot of pain. Got some therapy for a couple of weeks and some steroids as a last resort.

Rented a Electra Glide for a week and the seat was perfect. No pain whatsoever.

I assume it was a stock seat, but, no real sure, but, I would love to have one.

I rode yesterday and having same issues with pain while riding.

The following users liked this post:
Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 AM
Dano_Canuck
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply and I would not consider ridin a two wheeler at the moment however, once my back is fused it’s permanent and my neurosurgeon said I could ride and be safe. I’m basically having Tiger Woods surgery which is a permanent fusion of my lumbar spine. It’s all fancy nancy these days and done with robots and micro surgery so the recuperation is faster and success is almost guaranteed. I will still have some pain and soreness but the system they use is like a clamp that permanently sets my lumbar spine together and stronger then it could ever be naturally.

I used to to ride ricer bikes back in the day but being fortunate enough to take early retirement has me itching to get back on the road and outside the cage with the wind and the road staring me in the face.

Just need the best combo of bike, bars, seats, etc to be comfortable as possible.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:34 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a spinal fusion and 4 screws and 2 rods placed in my back just 2 months ago. Let me say that this surgery is not for sissies. My goal is to get back on the bike July 1st.
Before the surgery my wife's Lexus killed my back to ride more than about 15 minutes. My F250 I was good for about 1 hour. The Harley with a back rest I could go for all day?
Just my observations

Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Dano_Canuck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sunderhill
I had a spinal fusion and 4 screws and 2 rods placed in my back just 2 months ago. Let me say that this surgery is not for sissies. My goal is to get back on the bike July 1st.
Before the surgery my wife's Lexus killed my back to ride more than about 15 minutes. My F250 I was good for about 1 hour. The Harley with a back rest I could go for all day?
Just my observations

Thats me brother. I know it痴 tough surgery and I知 certainly not looking forward to it but I can稚 even stand at a sink a peel a potato without buckling to my knees, I致e basically lived in a recliner for 15 months, through 4 pain blocks and now waiting on the block heads at BC/BS to approve my surgery. Despite paying almost $900/mo for insurance these baboons think they know better then my docs and made me go through the pain blocks first. Just had the required 4th last week so I知 forcing them to say yes because I met their demands.

I bought 3 new vehicles in the last 18 months to see what would work best. Caddy SRX, Lexus 350 and my most recent 2017 Acura RDX. Couldn稚 ride in any of them more then an hour without pain level spiking out of this world. Even with all the fancy lumbar supports they were all a NO GO. Got a beautiful Acura RDX with 9000 miles sittin in the garage doing nuttin.

What seat and back rest do you have on your ride?

Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I did the same thing, waiting on the insurance to approve the surgery. 2 rounds of injections, and physical therapy. My Dr. guaranteed me he would get me back on my Harley!!
I ride a Hammock seat and the backrest is a cheapy non adjustable Ebay item I bought years ago.
Waiting to get back on the bike is the hard part for me at this point. I went out to the garage last week and started the bike up and let her run for about 20 minutes. Did this not for the bike, I just needed to listen to her rumble.

Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,149 Likes on 5,594 Posts

I have been riding with lower back problems for years and in my case it never gets any better and it never really goes away. There are some ways to minimize the back pain and the first is to get a bike that you can handle without too much effort. I have had Sportsters, Dynas, Electra Glides and Road Kings and in my case the Road King was the best fit. Its large and comfortable but still manageable around town and in parking lots and the rear air shocks work well for me .
The next thing is a comfortable seat, I like the HD Sundowner but I have also had aftermarket seats from Corbin and Mustang. They are both great seats but the Mustang Vintage Touring seat was one of the best I ever rode on.
And maybe the most beneficial mod of all that I have done is installing an adjustable riders backrest. Its a real game changer for people with back pain. It will support your lower back and hold you in place, keeping your back in a more vertical position.
Stay away from drag bars and forward controls. These things look cool but they put you in a weird riding position and will definitely contribute to your back pain.

Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I have a bad back probably not as severe as the OPs but I still like to ride . A Mustang solo seat with a backrest was 1/2 the answer for me. The other 1/2 was a old fashioned Kidney belt or weight lifter belt may also work. The belt keeps me from slouching and helps a lot on longer trips .. Good luck ..

Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

The trick is to get in a comfortable, neutral position that does not stress pain triggers through as many riding situations and control movements as possible. What is neutral for you may be very different than someone else.

Two biggest items for me: mini apes (10 inch) on the Limited that bring my hands back (reaching forward or down is an issue) and up to a height about the same as holding a steering wheel, a little below shoulder height. Second is suspension; monotubes up front and Ohlins in the rear (bike is a 13) give a controlled ride on bumps. The stock seat with a small CVO backrest when needed has been good enough.

I pay attention to tire pressure, and constantly fight a tendency to slouch over time. Also learned to mount/dismount on the high side, as getting my right leg up and over the saddle is a huge trigger.

Is it a cool look? No. But I can still pull a few 500+ mile slab days on a trip, and that's more than good enough.

Dano_Canuck (05-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Lower Back Problems