General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem shifting to first

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 PM
bowelder
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
This happens to me all the time, if you stop for a red light and your let’s say you’re in 4th the bike will only click down one or two gears. So what I do is click down as far as it’ll go, and then I slightly let the clutch out about half way (till you feel a slight tug) for it to move the trans gears. At this point pull the clutch back in and continue shifting down. I have not encountered having to do this twice but I also don’t come to a complete stop when in 6th.
Thanks I'll try it, I usually come to a stop in first, but sometimes my mind is on stopping and I forget to down shift until I'm stopped.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 AM
shrekmoose
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m still trying to figure out why your not downshifting while you slow down. Even slamming on the brakes for deer or people pulling out in front of me I’m usually downshifting as well.

The following users liked this post:
Alamondm (07-17-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I've already downshifted to first gear by the time I come to a complete stop. On those few occasions when I haven't, I do what Jersey Drew does in post #10.

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
YZR (07-11-2019), Zonktified (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I've already downshifted to first gear by the time I come to a complete stop. On those few occasions when I haven't, I do what Jersey Drew does in post #10.
Same for me. I have cable clutches, but the same thing applies. Keep the bike in a gear that matches the ground speed. As you slow down, shift down. I will most times click it into neutral at the last little bit of tire movement before stopping. If it won't shift when stopped just ease the clutch out a little bit and pull it back in.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
This happens to me all the time, if you stop for a red light and your let’s say you’re in 4th the bike will only click down one or two gears. So what I do is click down as far as it’ll go, and then I slightly let the clutch out about half way (till you feel a slight tug) for it to move the trans gears. At this point pull the clutch back in and continue shifting down. I have not encountered having to do this twice but I also don’t come to a complete stop when in 6th.

^^^This, it happens to me occasionally.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like you just need more time in the saddle. You say it does not happen all the time.
So pay attention and figure it out. Something is different when it happens and when it does not.

Just keep at it. If your mind is not on what you are doing when you are riding you will not be riding long.

(forget to downshift because you are busy stopping?)

Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Engine braking and downshifting are part of stopping a vehicle with a manual transmission. The transmission should always be in the gear that matches the speed of the vehicle. You'll get gigged on a driving test for not doing that. Freewheeling is a no no.
I downshift my bike(s) into second and then Neutral as I roll to a stop.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

It may be difficult at a stop to get the transmission into first, especially if your coming from 3rd or higher. You really should be in 1st my the time you come to a stop. I agree with the more saddle time comment, Down shifting and braking should be all fluid, even in emergency braking you should be down shifting. If you need to add power at some point during the braking process to get out of the way of whatever it is it will be extremely hard to do in 3rd or above.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bowelder
I have been told that you can't adjust a hydraulic clutch I don't know if anything can be done inside the primary. I'm completely in the dark
You can adjust the clutch by taking off the derby cover, you just dont have cable to adjust

Old 07-12-2019, 03:05 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardcase61
You can adjust the clutch by taking off the derby cover, you just dont have cable to adjust
Can you post a step-by-step because they must have omitted that part in my service manual.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 07-12-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem shifting to first