General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Guy, New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:27 AM
EdgarTrask
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Guy, New Rider

Yes, thats me. I am a typical 51 year guy. Ive been fascinated with bikes and Harleys in particular most of my life, but only recently am I able to actually consider pursuing a license and a bike. So, yeah I fit a pretty common stereotype. ZERO riding experience (I do drive a manual trans car so I have a basic understanding of shift/clutch/throttle, and Im an avid bicyclist so I do understand some basic rules of 2 wheel dynamics), but no motorcycle experience.
I know that many people recommend starting with a small bike and working up to a larger bike. But I was hoping some forum members could explain why that is. Do smaller bikes have different riding characteristics than larger bikes? Is it because they dont go quite as fast or maybe because when I mess up and drop it, its not so bad to drop a $2000 Yamaha compared to dropping a 20K Soft Tail? Is it possible for a new rider to learn to ride safely on a large bike? Thats a lot questions!!
Im asking because Im not sure I want to go through the process of buying, riding for a year, trading up a little, riding another yer, trading up etc.
Thanks for any insight!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
I would recommend you start out by taking a motorcycle safety course.

Last edited by nevil; 07-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by nevil:
Erilflynn (07-15-2019), MajorKG (07-16-2019), mctraveler (07-15-2019), riggpigg (07-16-2019), SPRINGER (07-15-2019), Zonktified (07-15-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

As many others will also say; before buying a bike, take a beginners MSF course so you can get your endorsement. Use their bikes to learn.

Riding is riding is riding. Bike size does not make much difference when going straight down the road. It is the weight of bigger bikes that is the major factor. Holding up a heavy bike and doing slow manuevers can be intimidating on a larger bike until you gain confidence in your abilities. So there is something to be said about starting with a smaller bike and upgrading as you go...but not absolutely necessary. Many have started out on a larger bike from the get go. Got to know your limitations.

A bigger factor to your choice of a bike is $$$$$. If you are not sure about wether you will actually enjoy riding a MC, it is suggested to start out cheep untill you are sure you like riding.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Definitely take a basic motorcycle course and even a more advanced course soon after. Money well sent that will teach you a lot and could save your life.

Insurance rates depending where you live.

Dropping that $2,000 Yamaha won't break the bank. Scratching new Harley might.

Pushing a slower bike to its limits is fun and you learn a lot about how they react.

You may discover riding is not for you, or have a close call, and sell it within a few months.

Heck, if you don't want to buy a starter bike, at least rent one for a few days.

Last edited by TimmyPage; 07-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Ron517
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

First, welcome to the forums. Next I second nevil's recommendation to take the MSF course like the one Harley offers where they provide the motorcycle. I got back into riding at about your age and I'm 61 now. I did start on a Sportster 883 and glad that I did, I'm also a bicycle rider but trust me when I say you have no idea how comfortable or not you're gong to be until you are actually on a motorcycle.

I was in a class of 12 or so others when I took the Harley course and kept in touch with several of the folks in the class after. Everyone started off with the same excitement of learning to ride. Two people quit the course after only a couple hours of seat time. None of the remaining folks failed the course but of the three people I stayed in touch with only one actually bought a bike and he sold it after only riding a couple of times. So, at least take the course before you slap down $20k on a bike

SPRINGER (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM
EdgarTrask
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I forgot to mention the class. The local dealer is offering a free Riders Course with a bike purchase. So yeah, I would for sure take the class before doing anything else.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM
cannot
Road Captain
Received 367 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgarTrask
and Im an avid bicyclist so I do understand some basic rules of 2 wheel dynamics
I used to ride road bike 1300-1500 miles a year but only 220 miles so far this year. Spent too much time on motorcycle.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,564 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgarTrask
Yeah, I forgot to mention the class. The local dealer is offering a free Riders Course with a bike purchase. So yeah, I would for sure take the class before doing anything else.
Thats an expensive riding course, as others have mentioned, take the riding course on your own, they supply the bikes and if you drop it, no bid deal, once you take the class and decide riding is for you and you still want a harley for your first bike, buy the bike and take the riding course they offered again to give your more confidence. then ride on.

rk classic.

M4i2k2e2 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:58 PM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 359 Likes on 212 Posts

As others have mentioned, it is worth every penny you spend to take an MSF basic rider course. We're only talking $200-300 or so. Also, as far as people recommending starting on a smaller bike, the smaller, lighter bikes are easier to handle, and when you are just starting out, it makes it easier to learn and get comfortable with riding a motorcycle. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Old 07-15-2019, 01:03 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

Take the MSF course, then get something cheap. Not so much because you might drop it, but because if you decide riding isn't for you, you don't want a 20K garage ornament sitting in your garage while you are making payments. I've seen it happen alot. One of two things will happen. You'll either look back and think damn, I love riding so much i wish I would have just bought that new expensive HD for my first bike; OR, you'll look back and think, damn, I'm so glad I did not buy that expensive HD for a first bike because riding just isn't for me.

Riding sounds fun to a lot of folks until they have a near miss in traffic, or an accident of some kind, or body isn't up to the task and you're sore and hurting all the time from riding, or get stuck in the rain, heat, cold, etc.

Last edited by LonestarXL; 07-15-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Old Guy, New Rider